Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my truck has been in the shop since Tuesday. The most pressing warranty item was the tranny leak. I also had them fix the a/c and look at a rough idle and octane ping sound the engine would make when lugging in gear. The tranny was diagnosed as a defective pump seal. The a/c was some miscellaneous parts that had to be ordered.

Okay, to the topic. I had a discussion with the service manager and tech concerning injector problems. They admitted that were some problems with injectors. They said most of the cases were because the owners used bad diesel, mainly dirty farm use diesel. Dirty diesel, in their opinion, was to blame. However, when I asked them about adding an auxiliary fuel filter, they said NOT TO DO IT! Their reasoning was that the installation of the filter could introduce contaminants into the system thereby ruining the injectors. They also mentioned that the whole fuel system was very touchy, and any non-spec change could alter the system and thereby damage the injectors. In other words, they would seriously look into voiding the warranty of a truck with injector problems that has a non-spec item added to the fuel system.

In MY case, this means I have to pre-filter the fuel before pumping it into the tank.

Dmaxallytech, do you have any advice or suggestions considering my situation?

Thanks!
Edited by: cdhd2001

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Find a new dealer. They have no idea what they are talking about. Seriously, an additional filter ADDING contaminents to the fuel?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Whats your dealing smoking? I want some, cause it must be good stuff............

filters adding contaminants, lets just think about that logic for a minute, obviously makes no sense.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Maybe they think that during the actual installation process, you would be introducing the contaminants? Installing a pre OEM filter, would allow the OEM filter to filter out these contaminants, if they were introduced. Can't figure out their logic.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
They are correct about the fuel system being touchy. That's why we are adding filtration.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, they are concerned about contaiminants entering the fuel system during the initial installation. Basically, they said that GM was taking the attitude of "If you tamper with the fuel system, we will deny your fuel system warranty claims!" As far as changing dealers, this one is the best I could find that works with my needs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
BS Tell them that they just lost a customer. Typical case of "we know what we are doing, and you don't". --SS

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I would not recommend salmon slayer's approach. Try to reason with them. Visit with the techs in the shop. In some/most cases the service manager/dealer/salesmen are not mechanics and do not understand what you are telling/asking them. Find out exactly what their objection is and work from there. Do not comment on what you personally do not know. Tell them you don't have the answer but will find out and get back with them. Remember, you are asking for something. You cannot make them do anything. Go to the next meeting prepared. Later! Frank

·
Registered
939 Posts
The only fuel filter I know of that introduces contamiments is the stock Racor!!

My idle knock stopped again so I didn't go down to the dealer yesterday...was planning on getting their opinion on secondary filtration as well at that time...maybe later..

Bob

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
4x4man said:
The only fuel filter I know of that introduces contamiments is the stock Racor!!

Bob
Now that's a good one

The dealer SHOULD be saying something like this...

"You mean to tell me you're running this truck with only OEM filtration?.... I'm sorry Sir but we just may have to void your warranty!"

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Like all the other posters I found a dealer and after a long talk and a bunch of kind bs on my part he says if the fuel goes through the o.e.m. filter do what ever you want, this way the factory cant renig on any thing cause the fuel is passing through theres. I have filtertration before and after the O.E.M. and will post results as soon as I get a kit and sent in to av lube for testing. I plan on buying from the sorriest station I can find in case I am on the road and this is all I can find.

gEnO

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
cdhd2001 - the only thing i can think of is that you dealer was assuming a post-oem install. the only dirt they could complain about would be the line from your post-oem filter to the engine. if you mentioned pre-oem to them they have even less ground to stand on. i would take other's advice and talk to the mechanics and get them to show the service writer the light of day.. or find another dealer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
salmon slayer said:
Typical case of "we know what we are doing, and you don't". --SS

In the late 60's early 70's it was called 'Detroit attitude' and cost the industry billions in revenue avoidance when the public turned to imports.

·
Registered
165 Posts
cdhd,

That's two for two. If you can't have an intelligent converstation with these folks and there are any other dealers near you I would switch. Using the "contamination" mindset it would follow that you should never:
1. Change your own oil
2. Change your air filter
3. Allow anyone to remove any cover to any mechanical part of your truck
4. Clean your MAF sensor
5. Change the fluid in your
a. rear diff
b. front diff
c. transmission
6. Change your oil filter
7. change your transmission filter
Etc, Etc.

The point is that these sensitive trucks need to be worked on in a clean environment. Any dealer or service manager who figures we can't be smart enough to follow that requirement are rowing their boat with less than a full compliment of oars.

Good luck,
BobEdited by: Son of a gun

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Here again the dealer is covering GM(Which I suppose they are supposed to do). This is, and can be, a double edged sword. Us consumers want to make what has been deemed a lacking filtration system into a better system but by doing so you can also add a variable to the problem. I mean what if the media in the add on filter falls apart, or their was stuff in the line that was not seen. Is GM liable? I understand what GM is protecting. I guess where GM is dropping the ball on this is acknowledging the fact that the system might not be adequate and to offer a secondary filtration system as a TSB. Think about it. It is $200 bucks or so to keep Hundreds, if not thousands of customers happy and reduce the cost of failing injectors. Long term it fixes future reliability issues. This appears to be one of those Pennywise and pound foolish cliche's. One thing to consider. There an awful lot of trucks out there and we are only a handfull that post about this. and of us folks posting have we had any problems? Is the failure really that bad? Does anybody have any numbers? I am an engineer so numbers are important. Remember "A man without data is just another man with an opinion"

As I posted in another thread I change my Racor fuel filter every 10K miles regardless and have since purchase. It takes 10 minutes. I have not suffered any problems to date. 70K+ miles now

·
Registered
27 Posts
To add My personal feellings. Fellows it getting tougher every day out there, The first try at asking service about adding a nother fuel filter system the responce was dont add till after 36000 miles. This was one of the guys at the service desk in wich Ive know for 7 years and is a supper nice man, but his thinking was the warranty ran out at 36000 in wich it dont. I figured I better figure out another way to put this idea. After thinking it over I went to the Service Manager that I have also known for 7 years he had no objection at all to a PRE instaled system he would not talk about post OEM. I even got him to sign a document stating "That If I added a second PRE OEM fuel filter system it would not void or cause any warranty problems" I hope this will protect me .When contacting GM customer service the said to ask the service manager he was thier outhorized representative. And if he said ok then its ok. Doesnt seem like all the service managers out there was told or trained the same. I would think that GM would make a official statement reguarding the issue of additional filters,But im sure by doing so would show that a problem exsists , and mayby put a bigger liability on GM. I guess if a person wants to sell or trade it off at 99,999 miles or five years dont touch it. I would hope after purchasing a $43,000.00 vehicle I would not be sittin around having to think about this kind of dudu. I have no dought I can get a easy 200,000 miles out of a gasser with proper care, I would hope to think I could get the same out of a diesel that I paid $8000.00 more for, without having to spend several thousands of dollars to keep it running. At the current time I feel it is probly a gamble.

·
Registered
106 Posts

If you tamper with the fuel system, we will deny your fuel system warranty claims!" As far as changing dealers, this one is the best I could find that works with my needs.
===========================================================
Hello all

This is what i keep telling all of you.. GM is looking for ways to Vold Warranty Claims and Ford is doing the same SH**t to!! I was Told many Times DO NOT ADD A 2ND Filtering system.. This was from 3 dealers and one Zone
Manager.. Lots of people keep telling us that GM and Ford
are looking of ways to Voild Claims.. I can't Gamble on having my Fuel system Volded with 200 rigs now..

Note:: We i spoke to our ford rep .. He told me I can't Add nothing to the Filtering system on the 6.0's or Ford
Can and will Vold fuel system claims.. Thank God we dont
have 6.0's

IF gm comes out with a OEM back up will have it installed
by them

From steve
Fleet Dept
Edited by: smartfix

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I am taking appointments for service work. I showed our zone rep and the three engineers he had with him this week our added filtration options. NONE of them said anything about voiding warr, only risk of possible leak points. If GM/Racor is working on a pre oem secondary filtration as a dealer added option.. How can we do damage by doing it now? Why can they be pissed if YOU want to spend a few hundred bucks to save THEM thousands of bucks down the road?????

I DONT GET IT!!!

Me

·
Registered
112 Posts
Suppose I take my truck and run it in a demolition derby once a week for a year. Then I take it in to the dealership for injection failure at say 50k miles. I will expect the work to be covered under warranty unless there is a reasonable explanation as to how I am responsible.

My warranty is not something that was given to me from my kind hearted dealership, I paid for it, and I expect it just as sure as I expect my power to be on when I get home.

Granted, the dealership has to use some discretion when authorizing warranty claims or they would be taken advantage of. They still need to maintain objectivity on a per case basis.

A threat of warranty denial for something that isn't expressly harmful is poor customer service, unethical and may even be illegal. They need to be told that thier attitude is not acceptable and pointed in a progressive direction.

I know it is difficult to stand up to big companies on issues like these especially after you have made the purchase. That is why you need to do business with a company that conveys some respect for your consmer rights. --SS

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You know, this all seems so silly. Again you would think GM would assess this system and make recommendations. I called my local dealership and asked if they had a high incidence of injector failures. He said No. The biggest return was for the rattling steering. I asked him about the filtration addition. He did not recommend it. He said "Although it sounds like a good idea" he said "Voided warranties are high on the radar" as they have gotten back a significant amount of trucks for various failures and most had indications of added power boxes of some sort. He said that Service Departments vary in their approach on how to assess these issues and then respond. I had a interesting issue when I took my truck in for the rattling steering. They saw I had added the boost and EGT gauges on the pillar. They said that would put my truck as suspect to any warranty return. My saving grace is I have been friends with the parts manager for years and he knows I have not added anything to enhance power but I wanted to see EGT's as I blister through the desert pulling 11K lb trailer.

He did ask this though. Why the big concern on the additional filtering? I told him about what has been posted. He recommended that we all be very careful about adding anything to the truck that could open a door for a warranty claim issue. It appears this is a very sensitive issue.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts