Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a freightliner M2 on order. These trucks since 2001 have been running 28-30,000 psi at the injectors. The engine I've been inquiring about is the MBE-900 which is 300/860. From NY to Florida when I stopped for fuel at the T/A's and other truck stops that serviced Freightliners, I asked about injector problems and none of the shops have heard of or repaired any. Freightliners run filters in series 1st is a sceen filter 2nd is a media filled filter. Nobody knew the micron ratings but they have trucks with over 250,000 miles with no issues. Being that these trucks are used mostly for business livelyhood, I find it very interesting that there's two fuel filters factory equipped and they rate the engines for 500,000 miles before overhaul. That number also includes the injector life. Their recommend fuel filter change is 10,000 miles with replacement of both filters. I think the trucking companys are aware of the possible problems that can occur with the higher fuel pressures and already addressed it. For a truck that logs so many miles I feel a 10,000 mile fuel filter change should shed a little light on what to do with the Dmax. Secondery filtering and maintance might be all thats necessay to avoid injector issues. I have 21000 miles towing and a secondery filter since 1000 miles, and additive used every tank with not so much as even a hint of trouble. Time will tell

·
Registered
514 Posts
BD, I'd have to agree with you. Dirty fuel is probably one of the biggest causes of failures, along with free water. Why Gm didn't put on a better filter is a question only they can answer, but I suspect that the cost vs. preformance issue was a big part of that decision. There's a point where the mfg determines that under normal conditions a part will fail and if that point is deemed acceptable, then that's the system they use. With such varied fuel contamination levels out there, it's hard to say that your fuel is good and clean from tank to tank even from 1 single supplier. I think that the secondary filters are definitely one key part to good injector life. Approximately $300.00 to help the life of the injection system just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Especially with some of the great kits out there that these guys have designed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was thinking of putting a chip in my truck for a little more pulling power, but after reading about injector problems I think I'm going to go the protection route first. Where in the system does the secound filter go, how hard is it to install, what is the approximate price of a good one.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Varying opinions abound. IMHO the better filter belongs after the OE unit giving a similar setup as Bulldogger described on the big (or little-big) truck.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Kennedy said:
Varying opinions abound. IMHO the better filter belongs after the OE unit giving a similar setup as Bulldogger described on the big (or little-big) truck.

I would agree that that would be ideal, however with the Pre-OEM installs and the constant recirculation of fuel thru both filters , I believe that the argument about pre and post installs is somewhat of a moot point.

If it were a single pass thru with no return trip I would give that argument more merit.

Either way the fuel is filtered to 2mc in most Pre or Post OEM installs.

I am waiting for the factory to make a 5 or 2 micron absolute and then it will be double filtered at a smaller micron level.

In the end whatever we do is better than the factory set-up.

T
NY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts