Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cut open both fuel filters. The OEM is completely colored, & the pre OEM is only colored about 1/3 of the way. My question is " Does the fact that the lift pump is between the 2 filters the reason the OEM filter is completely colored,or is the pre filter not doing the job? 90 % of the fuel through this truck goes through BOTH filters. The OEM has just over 12,000 miles. The pre OEM has over 18,000 miles

DSC00315 (Small).jpg

·
Registered
609 Posts
Maybe it has to do with the lift pump being between the two filters. The pump is pressurizing the OEM filter and completely filling all the filter media and it is a vacuum on the after market filter so it just draws enough to feed the pump but not fill all the filter media. I just guessing since no one has yet replied.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What is the pre OEM filter you are posting about? If it is a corse filter, it will be like that. Also, is one a combo fuel/water separator? I am not familiar with the GM filter setup.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have a Stanadyne prefilter and lift pump. The OEM is always completely dark, while the prefilter is half used up. I change every 10K.

I also have a Mega post-OEM but I haven't changed it yet, going for 40K on it. I am curious to see how that one looks.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Thats a tough call.... Not sure if the OEM filtered better due to being fluid packed (providing slower media use in relation to increased media surface area) or if the filter media is tighter. Either way it looks like the OEM did a better job. Did you peel off the OEM outer layer to check the secondary layer? Just curious.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a tough call.... Not sure if the OEM filtered better due to being fluid packed (providing slower media use in relation to increased media surface area) or if the filter media is tighter. Either way it looks like the OEM did a better job. Did you peel off the OEM outer layer to check the secondary layer? Just curious.
DUHHHHH !!!! Why didn't I think of that :( Will do it & let ya know . Hows things in Lou si ann ?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
What filter is the pre-OEM unit? I wonder if it is a treated media and maybe has less of a tendency to absorb asphaltines? Out on a limb with that one, but the OE media is pretty plain white when not colored black with asphaltines.

I would definitely suggest putting the prefilter under psi if practical.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What filter is the pre-OEM unit? I wonder if it is a treated media and maybe has less of a tendency to absorb asphaltines? Out on a limb with that one, but the OE media is pretty plain white when not colored black with asphaltines.

I would definitely suggest putting the prefilter under psi if practical.

The pre filter is a Purolator & no way to put it under pressure.

a bear, well can't check the filter, went out in the trash so will do it on the next change.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.