Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Mdrag for doing the cutting.

OEM pre-filtered with a CAT (post CAT).....11,000 miles. Looks dirtier than I would have thought being since its seeing filtered fuel from a CAT.

The OEM has been pre-filtered by a CAT for all 11K. One K into my trip back from Alaska I had an engine problem (turned out to be a loose injector wire) so I changed the CAT out with another CAT. This is the reason for the CAT having 1K less miles on this change out.

The OEM can looks good. There is some discoloration but doesn't look like rust. Been using Rotella DFA which is an emulsifier.

Pre-OEM CAT 1R-0750 with 10,000 miles. Looks 5/6 th used up. Media being used from the bottom...up.

There does seem to be alot of crud in the bottom of the CAT. Doing its job I guess. 1500 miles of the 11K was run on Alaskan fuel. Another 1500 on Canadian fuel. The balance in the lower 48.

Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mav,

It is interesting that it is that the CAT is that dirty. It certainally validates the need for suplimental fuel filtering in my opinion. Thanks for the work.

Bob

·
Registered
612 Posts
Maverick

"Looks dirtier than I would have thought being since its seeing filtered fuel from a CAT."

I agree
... hard to understand how the OEM filter is catching that much contamination apparently missed by the much better CAT ... grasping at straws, is it possible that fuel regardless of cleanliness stains the OEM media in that manner?

Jim

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Probably not foreign matter. Diesel fuel leaves a hydrocarbon trail.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to say whats up with the OEM. Maybe someone with a similar set up could have the OEM filter paper analized to see whats accually in it.

By the looks of the CAT, one could probably go a max of 12,000 miles on a 1R-0750. The 1R-0749 should make 15K.Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
994 Posts
Maverick,

This is a good informational post. A lot of people here are running Pre-OEM set-ups. This is the first picture I have seen of the Racor OEM filter where a number of miles were accumulated with a Pre-OEM supplemental filter. It looks as if the Racor OEM could go 20K miles, while the CAT needs to be changed every 10K.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that even with a 2 micron filter, some particles get through. If you reference the following spreadsheets where the fuel sample data has been archived, each sample still had a large number of 2 micron and larger particles getting through, even with TWO fuel filters. The OEM filter plus the supplemental filter is helping your fuel system get to below the ISO 15/13/10 cleanliness level. So you would expect it to get dirty, just not as fast as when it was the only filter in the fuel system.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO/OC_Dmax.pdf

Alan

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've got the same setup with 6000 miles on it. I would like to get closer to 10K on it before switching. I figure I'll hit 10K around the first of the year.

My first OE change was at 15K when the Cat system was installed. Looking at Mav's OE pic. I consider his filter 25% used. My first OE was 40% used with no added filtration.

Maverick's fuel supply has been varied all across US and Canada. I on the other hand only fill up at two stations except for the occasional trip. 90+% of my fuel is coming from a known source. Should I wait to get equal mileage to compare equal systems or would it benefit the masses to change sooner?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i cut open one of my oem's after installing the CAT in Pre-oem location. the OEM filter had about 3k of solo use and about 8k of pre-filtered fuel from a CAT 0749. only the bottom 1" had any discoloring.. unfortunately i don't have any pics but it wasn't near as dirty given the mileage as i was used to seeing prior to installing the CAT..

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well I'm planning on changing my Cat post oem in the next weekend(almost 9000miles currently on it) and before it gets too cold to work in the garage. I'm also running the short 0750 just post instead of pre. I suppose I'll have to move it up to this weekend for a quicker comparision and snap off some photos.

I changed my first OEM at 13,100 miles and cut it open. I still have it, but only 1/3rd of it seemed used at the time. I'll snap a few photos of both if I get the chance.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Another aspect of the medium discoloration may be from asphaltine content of the diesel fuel used. Asphaltine content varies with region, base stock, refinery process and filter medium interaction. Visual cues are certainly important and relevant but discoloration alone may be misleading, especially in a cellulose filter medium. The CAT synthetic blend filter may be passing the asphaltines while the OEM may be capturing them due to to filter medium reactivity. The CAT particulate filtration performance is a known entity, as is the OEM; the discoloration affect of asphaltines is crossing a whole new threshold.
George MorrisonEdited by: Georgecls

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Georgecls said:
The CAT particulate filtration performance is a known entity, as is the OEM; the discoloration affect of asphaltines is crossing a whole new threshold.
George Morrison

Mr X,

This whole new threshold sounds like an opportunity for your inquiring mind to do some research. Can we count on you to do some digging?

2DAMAX

1 - 11 of 11 Posts