Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all these threads about filters I will probrably go something besides my OEM setup. However , my concern is fuel gel during the winter with another filter not near engine heat. In all my years of close to 900,000 miles with GM diesel pickups I've only been stranded once by fuel gel in filter , but it does cause a concern.

Any thoughts ?

39,945 miles , 1111.76 hours 02 d max

·
Registered
540 Posts
Run a winter additive

·
Registered
994 Posts
Good question. This whole supplemental filter thing started last October (2002) and a lot of supplemental filters did not start getting installed until Spring, 2003. So it will be an interesting winter for those that live in the colder climates.

The Racor is available with a heater. The Cat and Baldwin are a synthetic/celluose blended media (that is supposedly more resisitent to absorbing water and freezing closed). Use an additive as FD mentions above. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
168 Posts
While driving trucks over the road, we used wool hunting socks and put them over the filters. Seem to do the trick in colder climates. Help hold the heat in, really does good job with heated filters.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have much experience with the CAT 2 micron filters going through severe winters with no problems of gelling or flow restriction. However, in all cases, the diesel fuel was properly blended/additized for cold temperature operation. i.e. controlled, known winter fuels. When buying fuel from uncontrolled/unknown sources, it is was to 'make sure' the fuel is not going to jell/cloud by using a winter diesel fuel additive.. Winter diesel fuel blending costs more and there are unscrupulous vendors who do not winter blend and continue to buy the lowest price fuel for resale. Using a winter fuel additive is very inexpensive insurance.
George Morrison

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have run additives , and was running additives when I had gel problem (it was at least 25 below 0 in just outside Poughkeepsie, NY ) I replaced 3 filters in 10 miles to make it to a buddys house.

And that was underhood ! Relying on "winter blend" fuel is foolish , since it can vary greatly.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Terry...

Mounting whatever aftermarket filter you chose post OEM should resolve the problem. Fuel in it will have already been heated by the OEM setup. I have a post OEM Mega which seems to be fine but there are others out there to choose from ... Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts