Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put a pre-OEM fuel filter on the truck. But started thinking about the warranty issues. Has anyone had the fuel system (read injectors) warranty voided because of a pre-OEM filter? How about for a lift pump? Anyone know GM's position on these issues? My experience with marine diesels is two filters is probably one filter not enough, so I would like more on the truck.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Jim

That's the million dollar question .... I haven't heard yet of this happening to anyone ... That doesn't mean it wont ...

Some dealers invite the install of additional fuel filtering ....

I believe there was hint that GM was going to install a Racor unit such as what Gregg sells ... Nothing I've seen yet that confirmed this ...

The lift pump well your on your own on this .... Looping in a bypass so pointing to the fact it's used as a primer only would be to your advantage ...

Nonetheless if you overly concerned check with your primary servicing dealer ...

Mac

·
Registered
663 Posts
One option to minimize risk of a warranty denial is make your filter installation reversible… i.e. install the post-oem or pre-oem filters without cutting any lines. For a frame mount pre-oem remove the OE QD (quick disconnect) fuel line between the tank and hard line near the fuel cooler and plumb the filter with 7/16 id fuel hose and clamps. For a post-oem install, mount the filter under the air box or on the engine in the second alternator (Frank Blum) position and plumb with hose and clamps. This only works if you can remove the filter before going to the dealer with a fuel system problem - not practical if your 1000 miles from home towing your 5th wheel.
If need be my pre-oem and post oem filters are both reversible. I asked the dealer where I bought my truck if adding a secondary filter would give me a warranty problem. The service writer and tech said it would definitely void my warranty. Needless to say I no longer go there for service mainly because it indicates they don't know much about diesels.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
27 Posts
I added a combination auxillary fuel tank/tool box. I have a small fuel pump that pumps out of the aux tank through a filter, and then into the fill neck on the main tank. The OEM equipment has not been changed in any way. I just always fill the 50 gal aux tank, and tranfer into the main tank.

Snakebite

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.