Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric:

I changed out the factory fuel filter last night and had the same rust spots everyone else is complaining about. After I cut the filter apart I tried to figure out the flow. It looks like the fuel enters through a bunch of small holes in the plastic near the top and falls to the bottom of the cannister, it then is pulled through the filter media and delivered to the engine throught he center of the filter. My point is that the rust and crap in the bottom of the canister is before the media, so why all of the great concern?

Thank's, Steve

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Steve, It depends on when the rust got there, if it was not in filter when new, then it was introduced in fuel system.. where else is it forming? That would be my biggest concern

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric:

Are you seeing rusted lines, etc. after the filter? I am wondering if moisture sits in the bottom of the filter cannister and corrodes because of lack of movement.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have yet to see any rusted stuff on the inside, I do see pitting off the sealing surfaces where the lines hook to the injectors, but thats not related to this concern. I think the rust comes from the water but it may not be enough to turn on the WIF light. Periodic draining is a good thing but who does it?

Eric

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric:

I forgot to mention that before I removed the fuel filter I loosened the bleed screw quite a few turns (floppy loose) and then tried to drain some fuel from the bottom. I turned the bleeder several turns-not a drop. I got to thinking later, do you just turn 90 degrees? In either case no fuel came out so I just spilled a little when I changed the filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts