Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have what I think is a simple question and I'm looking for some discussion.

Diesel motors have been around many, many years. I grew up around the farm. Had many diesels and they were worked hard. Filled all them up with fuel from the fuel barrel. Never worried about "bad diesel or water in the "tank". Rarely changed filters on the tractors "fuel or air" and never had problems with the injectors going out. So why all this need for aftermarket fuel filters, air filters etc???

Not trying to start a fight here, but to me it's just not adding up? Why didn't we have more problems with tractor diesels?? Just keep reading all the discussions on filters "air and fuel" and just can't make my mind up yet if either are necessary from that of OEM.

Warden

·
Registered
514 Posts
23,000 PSI tends to make big issues out of small particles. That's the big reason clean good quailty fuel is necessary for prolonged life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeh I understand about the hi pressure and it,s sensitivity to dirt but why does,nt GM realize this and make a OME filter down to the 2 micron rating?I asked my dealer about this he said it evidently was,nt a concern of GM.I said yeh after 100,000 miles when your pump goes they want to sell you another one, of coarse it,s off warrenty.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The need for cleaner fuel in the new breed of diesel engines with high pressure injection systems was well documented by Caterpillar. The results of the CAT study along with a relatively high rate of injector failures is what precipitated much of the forum discussion and subsequent filter mods by Duramax owners.
Check out the following article for more info … Trucking’s Dirty Little Secret
Also, anyone have a link to the CAT study?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts