Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this forum and hope you can help. I'm sure you've discussed this before. I have 2006 duramax and my truck is now telling me to change the fuel filter for the first time. Filter is 45.00. Dealer wants 135.00 to install. Is this something a guy with average ability can do.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Different strokes for different folks

I did not want to bend the AC line, and found that if I remove the battery on the passenger side, it is easier to work on the filter and to unplug the electric connector. Just be sure to wrap the red battery lead out of the way, I put an old sock on it and tie it up out of the way.

And buy the fuel filter from Eric or one of the other merchants here on the diesel place, and they will make sure you get the TP1298B version of the filter.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
alleghenyrose;1580173; said:
I did not want to bend the AC line, and found that if I remove the battery on the passenger side, it is easier to work on the filter and to unplug the electric connector. Just be sure to wrap the red battery lead out of the way, I put an old sock on it and tie it up out of the way.

And buy the fuel filter from Eric or one of the other merchants here on the diesel place, and they will make sure you get the TP1298B version of the filter.

i didnt have to remove my battery or bend the AC line. if you get a filter wrench that pivots up and down you can get it :)

the stealer is a good place to buy the filter also

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
BTW i like the jayco, how many feet? we got a jayco eagle 23'

·
Registered
353 Posts
On my 2006 I take the air tube off (two hose clamps) so I can see what I am doing. Someone at the factory had a few minutes extra so he/she put tape over the WIF connector. Make sure the small gasket comes off with the filter. I use a belt type filter wrench, 12" extension and a 1/2" ratchet. Unless you have long skinny arms it helps to have one person push up on the filter from the fender well and another guide and turn it from above. My 2006 you can turn the filter about 1 turn before it gets hand tight. On the 2005 I can get about 1/2 turn. Check eBay for filters. Rydell Chevrolet has filters listed on there. The last three I got cost $25.00 each including shipping.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I take the battery out as well. Seems to be the easiest way. I have done it many times without moving anything with a filter wrench that pivots like DURAMAX3500. It can be done but to me its just to frustrating. It may take a couple more minutes if you remove the battery but everything goes much smoother. You have plenty of room to disconnect the WIF sensor and you can use a normal filter wrench.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
On my '02, I just put the filter in a Ziplock bag after I remove it from the housing. Take it out the top without moving or bending any lines. Someone at the factories must be doing something under the hood, everyone removes the filter a different way...

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Get yourself a 5 gal. bucket to stand on--do the R+R from the top--I remove nothing.Get your $19.56+ ship filters from Bryan at Fleetfilter,a vendor here.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
On my '05 LLY I had to bend the AC line but not on the '06 LBZ. I just take the intake hose off like SD-455 and use a flex handle Lisle filter wrench. I stand on a milk crate to do it. Pretty easy after the 1st time jitters...:D

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Dealer gets 8/10ths of an hour to do filter change. Thats book time why???? Its a 20 min job, esp when your not along side the road freezing.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
My fleetguards (owned by cummins, imo good filters) are 36 a piece.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went with AC filters all the way around mainly due to the old story of "if it's not a factory filter warranty is void". Is this not true anymore? I noticed alot of owners using Wix filters.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
lawdog905;1606856; said:
I went with AC filters all the way around mainly due to the old story of "if it's not a factory filter warranty is void". Is this not true anymore? I noticed alot of owners using Wix filters.
No,completely not true---I run Wix/Napa Gold and I'm still on warranty.Old BS dies hard!!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Stealers

THe Stealers in your area are definately stealers if they charge you over 30-40 bucks to install that!!!!!!!!! There is a filter wrench made that looks like a small seatbelt strap (Snap-on has them & sure other companies also) that works slick to do that job. 15 min tops!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts