Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cant seem to find one that fits, either to big or to small,can someone tell me where to get one and what size they are?

·
Registered
217 Posts
If this is your first oil change, be prepared
....the filter is torqued on there like you won't believe. You will need a strap wrench. It is nothing more than a piece of square tube stock, with a nylon strap attached to the top. Goes onto a ratchet, and away you go. I can't remember where I got mine (bought it online), but I will do a search and see what I can find.

John

·
Registered
217 Posts
OK, found the wrench.
I got it at All-Tool.com. Here is the link to the wrench. The URL is long, you might have to type it in manually.

Good Luck!

John

Oil_Filter-Drain_Plug_Wrenches

Edited to shorten URL
hootEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have the same one. It's not the easiest thing to use, but it works, unlike the other ones I tried.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I used one of those cheep expandable 'C' shaped filter wrench. It was not a strap wrench. Basically it has a fixed 'C' shape on one end, the other end is movable and tied into the handle so as you put pressure on it and try to loosen the filter it gets a tighter grip on the can. Hard to explain, but haven't found a pic of it on the web yet. Only downfall is you could pierce the filter can and possibly put a hole in it, but I haven't had that happen yet. On my first fuel filter change, I removed the wheel well liner so I could get a good look at what was under there.

If I find a pic of it, I will update, or I will take a pic of mine and update.

Bob

·
Registered
369 Posts
CS-Dmax said:
If this is your first oil change, be prepared
....the filter is torqued on there like you won't believe. You will need a strap wrench. It is nothing more than a piece of square tube stock, with a nylon strap attached to the top. Goes onto a ratchet, and away you go. I can't remember where I got mine (bought it online), but I will do a search and see what I can find.

John

NO CHIT THAT THINGS ON THERE TIGHT!!! I did my first oil change over the weekend, i CRUSHED/ MANGLED the filter getting it off, my tool that goes on the end of the filter stripped the "hex" right off the end of the filter, so then i got out my mongo filter strap wrench with big teeth on it to grab into the filter, it basically twisted the whole filter up and crushed the side in before it started to turn off the motor, i thought i was gonna be in BIG trouble with that filter, THEN came the drainplug, longest rachet i own with my feet against the tires pushing as hard as i could to break that puppy loose, can't beleive it did not strip the pan being that tight from the factory, do they have Lou friggen Ferigno (aka the incredible hulk) working at the assmebly plant or what????????? I have never had a vehicle with stuff on that tight before! At least i know it will be a LOT easier next time!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't bet on it being easier next time....

The high startup pressure of the DMax will slightly stretch the filter and it will suck up real tight again. It's almost guaranteed that you will mangle another one...

Later...

·
Registered
612 Posts
bought my strap wrench at Sears ... has worked well ... Jim

·
Registered
540 Posts
First 2 oil changes I did the filter came right off, couldn't understand what everyone was talking about. The 3rd change the filter was so tight I thought I was going to blow out a blood vessel and have a stroke!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
NAPA has a pretty good strap wrench also. The nylon web is pretty wide and it will take either a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive. Works great on either the oil or fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Follow the directions when you put them on. 3/4 turn after the filter contacts the flange is enough. You can easily put it on by hand unless you have oil on it. 100 psi on start up is not high pressure!!! Later! Frank

·
Registered
369 Posts
I put my filters on by hand, turn it tight with one hand only, no wrench or oil filter strap just a bare hand, I'm pretty sure it will come off OK next time

·
Registered
540 Posts
gsxr1216 said:
I put my filters on by hand, turn it tight with one hand only, no wrench or oil filter strap just a bare hand, I'm pretty sure it will come off OK next time

You think so???

Let us know!!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I had one hell of a nightmare with my 1st oil change. Actually it was my second, dealer first one was a freebie. It was horrible. I broke a wrench, hourglassed it trying to use large filter pliers and my strap wrench just spun around it.

Needless to say, I found a friendly local guy D-max owner(Spicer) that came over and helped me out.

He also told me about lubing the filter gasket with Parker Super O-Ring Lube. Not an easy item to find, but I got it and use it now on the filters. They come off so easy now, you'd think they weren't on tight enough.

Big help in my situation to date.

·
Registered
212 Posts
juice is asking about a Fuel Filter Wrench and you all are giving him advice on Oil filters. Juice--You can get a strap wrench from Auto Zone. It will be in the Oil filter department but it works great on the fuel filter. You have to use a 1/2 ratchet with it, and it works great. The strap will fit filters from 6 " down to the smalliest they make.Edited by: TX-DMAX

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have routinly found that a foot long screw driver driven through the center of the filter is required to remove most dealer installed filters.

ponz

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I know so FirstDiesel. I put the last four oil filters on hand tight. Absolutely, positively no problem getting them off. I have a short handle strap wrench to give my fuel filter a little help. I change it without removing anything and can't get a good grip on it. Anyone that over tightens the fuel filter is going to suck air. Later! Frank

·
Registered
939 Posts
Frank Blum-

How would over tightening the fuel filter cause it to suck air?? How would I know if it was sucking air?? I am curious as I am one who tends to over tighten things...then wonder who put that on?? :D

Bob

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sorry Frank we got fuel and oil filters mixed up somewhere in this thread. Fuel filters come off nice, oil filters!!!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Be careful overtightening the OEM fuel filter.

The threaded part is a big circular piece of plastic that is crimped on in the manufacturing process. I know of one fellow that had a nightmare situation. The plastic part would not come loose but the outer housing would spin.

He had to remove the entire assembly I believe and cut it apart.

It has to be tight enough to avoid vacumm leaks but not so tight as to create filter housing distortion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts