Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless GM changes the fuel filter this is my last Duramax. Its an 03 with 36,000 miles, all stock. There is no reason that it is so difficult to change the fuel filter. My first filter plugged on a Sunday in the middle of West Virginia at 3,400 miles. After suffering with a truck that would not run through 3 towns to find a auto parts store that had one and then 30 minutes in a snow covered parking lot trying to change it I was ready to sell it. Thats when I found this site and found out about moving A/C lines to make it easier, which it is, but still too difficult. Look at the Fords! Then to find out that the whole filter is a piece of junk! And what you have to do is add another filter to make it right. Since 1987 I have owned 10 Ford Trucks & 3 Chevys, most of them bought new. I currently own 6 Fords, the oldest is a 1990, 1 of which is a 97 7.3 Powerstroke with 150,000+ & no major issues, I keep them untill 200,000 miles, 1 1995 Suburban which is also a piece of junk, currently getting a new motor at 135,000 miles and has had 5 A/C compressors, 3 under warranty, and a 92 Astro service van that has been pretty pleasant to own. I service all of my own vehicles at 3,500 miles with Baldwin filters and good oil, change the air filters at the 3rd oil change or sooner if needed, the Powerstroke oil at 6,000 and the Duramax at 5,000. These Chevys are a ***** to grease compared to Fords. I know most of you will say that Fords have problems too, but in my experience, they are much less expensive to own and easier to work on. Also the 6.5" rims they put on is a joke, I just put new tires on at 36,000 miles and had to put the little tires back on! This is the last time GM screws me! Maybe I expect too much out of a $40,000 truck! Call me EXCHEVYMAN! Edited by: Duckhunter220

·
Registered
444 Posts
On the other hand I've been a Ford truck owner since 1972. Switched to Chevy Silverado in 2003 because I didn't like Ford any more. Will not go back.

IMHO The quality of Ford has gone down considerably. Their front ends always sucked. I think they own stock in tire companies.

Try owning the 6.0 Powerstroke. A lot of PO'd cutomers there.

***** to grease? Not really at least you can grease them. Only the idler arm's a pain and if you figure out the trick of turning the steering just a bit, that's not too bad either.

I haven't owned a vehicle yet where something wasn't a bear to change. Each own with it's own idiosyncrasies.

Don't blame your filter for clogging up. Be glad that it's doing it's job. If it didn't catch all that crud you would have been changing your injectors in that parking lot. Try buying cleaner fuel.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I changed my fuel filter in 5 minutes flat. Far from difficult IMHO.

I had the pleasure of driving my dads 6.0L ford home from the airport today. I use the term pleasure loosely. Other then the dead peddel (0 to 1/4 throttle does nothing), barely starting after sitting outside for 3 hours in -25 weather (mine was unplugged all night and started great), and stalling on me no less then 3 times at stop lights. Yep, ford has it down pat.

Ford's easy to work on.. That is a good one. How about having to pull the cab off for minor engine work. Or having to cut the fan shroud to change the belt.

But don't take MY word for it. Go and buy yourself a new 6.0L. Then maybe you will realise how good you had it even though the fuel filter takes a few minutes to change.
Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Duckhunter,

Dude I am sorry to read about your problems. There is nothing worse than not being happy with a truck. Believe me I have a love-hate relationship with mine. I have had two Strokers before this one...'99 &'01...loved them both. BUT FYI the '04 Strokers have switched to a two filter fuel system and I did hear that one is easy and the other one is a ***** to change. Believe me I have nothing against Fords...my friends are still floored I am driving a GM product.

I have needed to do way too much to this truck to get it up to speed...my speed

New Tires 265s(to big for the stock wheels), Bilstein shocks, High Idle, aftermarket fuel filter, and now after market fuel filler!!! I am sure I left something out...but you get my point.

My GMC is a really nice truck and so is a Ford....it is up to you and your needs.....and I am with you if GM does not change somethings I will be back in a Blue Oval before long.

Good Luck.......

Good Luck finding cleaner fuel also.....clean diesel fuel is almost a oxymoron.
Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Buddy, I learned one thing when I was an over the road driver, and that is dont ever go anywhere without and extra fuel filter and a wrench to change it, and if it was winter time I would carry two fuel filters. Edited by: keystonekid

·
Registered
617 Posts
I change my fuel filter in about 2.5 minutes while drinking a beer. What's the problem with yours? Looks like Ford is where you need to be.

·
Registered
444 Posts
neverenuf said:
I change my fuel filter in about 2.5 minutes while drinking a beer. What's the problem with yours? Looks like Ford is where you need to be.

Hummm
. Let's see what's missing here. It takes me longer and I haven't been drinking a beer... That's it! I have to start drinking beer.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
It is all about the beer!

"The cause of and the solution to all of the worlds problems" Homer J.Simpson.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go buy a Ford, then come back in a year and tell us how happy you are with it.

Jess

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am not sure if this is just a local NJ term?

Fix Or Repair DailyEdited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here we go bashing furd again. Didnt you hear that 98% of all furds sold are still on the road, the other 2% did make it to the shop!

·
Registered
398 Posts
JohnnyO said:
I am not sure if this is just a local NJ term?

Fix Or Repair Daily

Or it could be.............Found On Road Dead!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts