Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being concerned over the rust in my original fuel filter, I decided to send of an e-mail to GMC customer service. A GM rep just called me today and wanted to know more about the situation. I explained that I was concerned about the rust in my original filter and any impact it could have on my engine. The GM rep recommended that I take the filter in to have the dealer look at it. The rep was not aware of any problems with the filter. She thought perhaps the truck could have been sitting on the lot for a long time before I purchased it - thus the rust (I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing on that comment). Anyway, now I have to go to the dealer and get their expert opinion. I know how this is going to turn out - to be a big waste of my time. Of course, I don't expect any insight from the dealer.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
dealer~~ "Boy, is that one of them diesel fuel filters? We have seen them before on SI-2000. What did you ruin if for when you took it off?"

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Make SURE you walk the dipstick manager into the parts department and pull 6 PRE_RUSTED fuel filters off the shelf and show him.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really dreading that visit. I see no use in waisting my time. Is there anything good that's going to come out of this meeting? I think it will just make me have less confidence in my local dealer. I just don't see the point. But, to appease GM, I'll go.

·
Registered
132 Posts
tundracamper----Are you having problems with your truck? If rust in the old filter is the only issue simply install a new one and use a good additive at every fuel up. I see no reason to involve the dealer at this point. -------------------------Phil

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crusher: I agree 100%! I did install a new one. That's when I noticed rust in the old one. It's GM that wanted me to go to the dealer. I did not indicate to them that I was having any sort of problem. I only raised the issue as a potential problem. Now, I have to do all this extra work. Go figure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Crusher, I say you need to get something out of the deal. Hell tell them your concern is that the rust came from a bad fuel load that sat on the lot for however long and that means it set in your fuel lines too. hell it might have sat in the fuel pump. Tell them you would rest a whole lot better at night if they would upgrade you to a 2004 or in the very least throw in a life time warranty on the fuel system (no deductable)

·
Registered
132 Posts
OK guys, my first filter also had rust in the bottom. SMALL amounts of rust. Just some tiny spots. This was what I based my previous comment on. Tundracamper should do what he feels is best for him. ------------------
------Phil

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As recommeded by GM, I went by the dealer last week. "Shoot, that diesel is soo tough, it can handle anything." "We see a little rust like that all the time." "It's just like the condensation rust you get on a transmission dipstick."

Well, I guess I got the response I expected. Completely useless! I'm sure GM will have no additional response for me when they call back for a follow-up next week.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
tundracamper, just what is your concern with rust on the dirty side of your filter? Later! Frank

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As noted above, I just wanted to see what GM's response to this issue was. I'm not expecting to get a response. However, I just want to see what they say about rust inside the fuel system. Seems to me like it would be a bad thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts