Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this truck about 2k miles ago and I am going through the maintenance on the truck and I had replaced the fuel filter last night. when I removed the water sensor there was all kinds of rusty colored chunks of crap that came out :eek: . I know now the previous owner should be slapped for not preforming the normal maintenance. Now I am very interested in replacing every fluid on the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Could have been the fuel and not a lack of changes. Did you cut the filter open to see how much of it was used? That would be a better indication of when it was last changed.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Some times this is unavoidable if there is a bad tank of fuel run through, but using a good additive will help take care of moisture related issues. I got one nasty tank of fuel while in MI a couple of years back. It was either at Cadillac, or on the edge of GR after visiting Eric. Never really knew for sure, but having a secondary filter definitely helped as there was evidence of water in the Mega element when I drained it. I was well additized, but not enough for large slugs of water. When I get these situations, I get as much fuel out of the tank and then refuel with fresh clean fuel and a half or whole bottle of FPPF Fuel Power to help "dry up" the system. If it's really bad, you'll want to drain and clean the tank.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had time to cut the filter open yet to see whats inside. I am considering a secondary filter setup in the future. I have been using the white bottle of P.S. I plan on switching to the FPPF soon. At this point there was just sludge type brown (rusty looking) material in the sensor and at the bottom of the filter housing. I clean the sensor out looking brand new again and I will closely reinspect roughly 5k miles from now to see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
fuel problems too

same thing happened to me tonight but i got some bad diesel at my farm today and npw my check enigne light is on and i have major acc. lag so im takin it to the dealer 2morrow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.