Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd drop a line on the on going fuel filter dilemma. Mine was gone at 10,000 miles to the point where the truck would almost shut off at half throttle. What a relief.....I thought I was in trouble.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No secondary. I have a good fuel supplier but who knows. GM is full of balony and are scrambling. I manufacture diesel power boats and know damn well that they're using lame excuses for us not double filtering. You can induce just as much crap into the system just changing your filter as you can by adding a pre filter if not careful. I'm having my dealer do the filters....now what are they going to say. I have a 100,000 warranty and they can replace everyone of injectors if they want to be that way. My tech told me that he's already went thru one mess with a buy back because GM was stupid enough to replace one injector at a time. Three injectors and your out.....

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have cut several fuel filters open. Each had approximately 8k miles (with NO supplemental filtering, only OEM on vehicle). In both cases, only about 1/4 of the filter element had been used.

Looks like your fuel is a bit on the dirty side. If you don't plan on keeping the vehicle outside the 5yr/100K engine warranty then no problem, you'll just be visiting your dealer in a year or two for some injector repair. They'll pick up the tab. On the other hand if you plan on exceeding the engine warranty period, it may be in your best interest to investigate some form of supplemental filtering.

Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cut the filter open and it looked like tar in there. I might of picked it up on a road trip down to Georgia last fall. I wonder what the fuel tank looks like.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Throw some additives in the tank for the next few tankfuls and get that crap out of there. Somewhere you picked up some bad fuel. My filters go about 15K and when cut open only bottom half is dark, rest looks good. Now I have the Cat pre-filter and have not had enough miles on yet to change the filters, but will cut them open and take a look to see if the pre-fiter is helping. I know it is, but need to see it for myself as proof.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fungal growth?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, unrefined crude. Fungal growth has a lighter grayish/black then the jet black that was on my filter. It smelled like unrefined fuel too. Also we're up here in the Northeast, I don't think we have the conditions to develop this kind of mess in our tank this quickly.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
It is a tar like substance that comes from the diesel fuel itself... asphaltines. Probably has something to do with the quality of the fuel/refining

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are unreal.....I had Assphalitis!!?? Now I know the cure, change the filter when the truck falls on it's face. I towed 10,000 lbs. today in Edge 2 mode, unreal. I really love this truck!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts