Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what my filter looks like at 12k while running a lift pump with one pound of pressure measured at the bleeder on a Kennedy Mega head.

Note there is no sign of striping and all the media is one color.The bottom of the can is free of rust or other contaminant as well.

I've been running a 50/50 mix of FPPF Total Power and Cetane Boost adding 8 ounces per tank.

JK,in an earlier post you indicated you saw a lot of crud come out of the bottom of your Mega Filter.I drained off about 2 ounces and no water or debris found in either the stock or the Mega.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this ought to be easier to see

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
thats a good sign, its evenly coated. Perhaps next time, I wouls shorten the interval some. Just more evidence of why a lift pump is a good idea, even with out having other uses for it. You use the entire element

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The filter is "blacker than a cats a$$" so I'm changing the interval to 10k.

We'll see if it looks any different.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Lift pumps look like the hot ticket! Yes that filter is trashed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
NWDmax

It does look like it's working very well, and it only makes sense to have slight pressure on the system versus a constant vaccum as your pictures and others with lift pump setups have proven.

What type of lift pump are you running, and how do you regulate the pressure? Do you have the excess from the lift pump plumbed back into the return line to the tank? Do you have any pictures of your lift pump setup?

I am interested in running a lift pump on my 04. I do have the Nicktane setup and I think I will be doing some modifications to suit my needs. I want to have the lift pump first then I will be running another Cat head using the Cat Fuel Water Seperator with a part # of 175-2949 prior to the Nicktane setup, both will be Pre OEM.

Thanks in adavance, Fran

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fran I'll get a pic or 2 for you in a day or so.

I'm running a set up similar to A-Bears and control the pressure with a needle valve.

The pump is the AC Delco unit like the one most of us are running.

I think JK's website shows one too.

Hope this helps!

Blake

·
Registered
145 Posts
NWDmax is this also the same setup JPBlock uses? I have seen his setup and it looks great, I just wan't to see as many different setup's as possible to give me more ideas, and to determine which way I will go. Thanks again, Fran

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow! That filter is really dirty after only 12K miles. I chaanged mine at 16K and it was no where near as dirty.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey 04 heres the pic I promised

The red lines are air compressor to my airlift bags in the back.

I bought all the hardware and fitting at the local Ace hardware store.

Not as high tech as JP's set up but works perfect.

Blake

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
04wanabemax, You can find more filter and lift pump pics in my sig. Just copy and paste the below webshots link.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
NWDmax:

Nice smooth cut. I see you didn't use an ax, like some of the filter pics we've seen.

I wonder if "filter color" is any indication of the filter being plugged. JohnnyO's filter, (no lift pump), looks like a couple I've seen at 10K miles. With the filter only about 1/3 full on dirty side with a stock system, the dark color 1/3 up is typical.

With a lift pump installed, we may see the entire filter dark or black, but that might not mean it's dirty.

Anyone have insite on this?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
modified,

Good point. I was wondering if the Total Power additive I use may change the fuel color enough to discolor the filter even more.

I would not think that 4 ounces per 26 gallons would be noticeable but who knows?

Even after the filter has sat for a few days its still as black as before.

·
Registered
145 Posts
NWDmax, & a bear

Thanks for the pictures it realy helps to see how you guys had done it. Now the question's???? How are you regulating the pressure to the schrader port. By both of your pictures it appears you are allowing fuel from the tank to be bypassed around the lift pump? What are the reasons? I am answering below what I believe

1. allows you to regulate fuel line pressure with out having a return to the tank from the lift pump?

2. Should the lift pump fail it allows fuel still to flow from vaccum of injector pump? I am assuming these are the answers, but feel free to correct me.

Where is the schrader valve located? I assume it's somewhere on the high pressure rail, do either of you have a picture of this location?

Is there a special type of gauge to use on this?

On intial install where do you start with the pressure? Bypass fully open?

a bear, I was wondering where you purcahsed your oil switch and if you might have a part number?

I know I asked an lot of questions, but I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks in advance, Fran

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I did this right, you will see a picture of my fuel filter & pump setup. I am using no pressure regulation and haven't seen the need for it. I have about 6,000 miles with this setup with no problems.

Well, I guess I didn't do it right. How do I add a picture?
Edited by: Flyboy

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Click upload image and choose your pic.(2nd up arrow top right)

You'll have to resize to 150kb or smaller using paintbrush or whatever program you like.

It'll let you look at it before you post.

When it asks you to be patient make sure you click ok.

Good luck!!!

Blake

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Blake, It worked.

Gerald

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flyboy;

Thats a cool set up!

Where you get the idea?

Picture came out beautiful.

Blake

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's hard to see in the picture, but both filters are mounted on a single piece of angle iron. I wanted to keep it simple without any needle valves and bypass hoses. My own idea. I just started putting things together and it came out that way. It is mounted on the inside of the frame just forward of the tank and spliced into the metal line. I measured the current draw of the pump and it was less than two amps, so I wired it straight to an oil pressure switch without any relay. I couldn't get any data on the switch, but so far, it's working good. I will switch to a 10 micron Raycor when I change filters. It's a 2mic now.

Gerald

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So you'll end up with 10 mic to 2 mic and then the stock filter?

Just curious.

Blake

1 - 20 of 29 Posts