Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 2500 i was wondering when my minder should come off 100%. DIC was updated at the dealer approx 18000 miles ago.48000 miles now and have only replaced the filter once, right before updated dic.

thank you for your help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about some mileage examples from some of you guys and gals, maybe i havent gone for enough to got it to do any thing. The origial filter i removed didnt seem to dirty. Maybe nothing is wrong. I will change it soon and keep a spare like i have read here.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I change my fuel filter at 7500 miles which is when I change my oil. After cutting it open, my filter looks to be 65% used up at this point. 18000 is possible, but I would change it ASAP, reset your DIC and don't go as long next time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the fuel filter changed at 10,182 miles . I now have 13,647 and the DIC is showing 76% fuel filter life left. It seems to be averaging 3,465 miles per about 25% left if I did it right. I think the manual said every 10,000 miles so that is what I will do.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
4x4toys;1598087; said:
05 2500 i was wondering when my minder should come off 100%. DIC was updated at the dealer approx 18000 miles ago.48000 miles now and have only replaced the filter once, right before updated dic.

thank you for your help.
I change the fuel filter every 10K.

In reading your post it sounds as if you had your truck's computer updated / reflashed to included the fuel filter reminder. IIRC the tech has to go in after doing the reflash and actually "turn on" the option once it is downloaded. He may have forgot to do that.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
There have been many members here who have gotten a load of filthy fuel and the filter indicator on the DIC does'nt know this at all. The moral of the story is don't listen to your DIC--change your filter often--I go app. 10K miles,always cut it open and it's usually at 30% left.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies, i was shopping for filters yesterday and no luck. may have to go to the stealer for filters.
friend of mine has tech2, will have to borrow it and play with it. will definatley change filters more offten.

aslo i am new to forums, i have 1 question what does "IIRC" mean?
thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I change my fuel filter every other oil change .I dont need any fuel related problems if all possible.That puts me at every 3000 miles times 2 equal fuel filter change =7000 or so.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
4x4toys;1600445; said:
question what does "IIRC" mean?
thanks again everyone.
If I Recall Correctly

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
4x4toys;1600445; said:
thanks for the replies, i was shopping for filters yesterday and no luck. may have to go to the stealer for filters.
friend of mine has tech2, will have to borrow it and play with it. will definatley change filters more offten.

aslo i am new to forums, i have 1 question what does "IIRC" mean?
thanks again everyone.
Don't over pay to your dealer.Go to Bryan's site right here under vendors at Fleetfilter,buy a bunch of all your filters{even your wife's ride if you're a smart,nice guy} so you'll save on shipping.He has Wix/Napa Gold brands and his prices are the best.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all, very helpfull.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I agree usually try to go 7500 miles or so. but only takes one load of crud fuel to pulug a filter.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
[email protected];1601223; said:
Don't over pay to your dealer.Go to Bryan's site right here under vendors at Fleetfilter,buy a bunch of all your filters{even your wife's ride if you're a smart,nice guy} so you'll save on shipping.He has Wix/Napa Gold brands and his prices are the best.
:exactly:

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
4x4toys;1598087; said:

thank you for your help.
Your filter reminder in the DIC should be programmed for 15,000 mile intervals pure and simple. It is not influenced by anything else. Running light load at near 20mpg will get you longer actual service life and may approach the 15,000 mile objective. Running loaded at 10mpg will likely see the filter load well before 15k.

As for counting down, you shopuld lose 1% for every 150 miles using simple math of 150 x 100 = 15000. If it does not then there is a problem in the programming either for the IPC or ECM would be my guess.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the same thing done, and it didn't count either. I manually reset using the brake and accel. per the book then it started counting. But only after it was reset.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ive always been told dont waste your money and do it every other oil change, and thats what we always have done at my old job, and we were running in dusty conditions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reset the filter minder, and it shows 99% after 150 miles.
Thank you all for your replies. Now off to find a filter. I think i will change fuel filter with every oil change. Also need to change oil and filter also tommorow, thinking about about Royal Purple. Hope i find some localy.

·
Registered
819 Posts
4x4toys,
Don't forget to do the Air Filter too.

----------------------------

On a side note:
I must of found a gold mine. I get my fuel filters at my local GM dealer that I got my truck from. The new blue AC Delco fuel filters cost me only $24.93 + tax (part #89060534 - TP1298B). Just picked up two of them last Tues.

jc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts