Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking through all the various ways of adding additional filtration, I've decided that I want to do a system similar to dmax2damax (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94&PN=3). He used a perma-cool head mounted along the frame, which provided some flexability for the fuel line routing. I'd like to use a slightly different perma-cool head (#81794) that has multiple in and out connections similar to the Racor heads (http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page26.html). My question is this....are all filter heads with 1-14 threads the same? The local CAT dealer says that pretty much any head with the correct post thread size should work with the CAT filters. If this is true, the perma-cool head will give me better fuel line routing than the CAT head provides, but I want to ensure that I'm not affecting some other area of performance for the CAT (0749) filter. Edited by: Roegs

·
Registered
994 Posts
Does the outer gasket on the CAT filter line up with the smooth circular surface of the Perma-Cool head you are looking at? I looked at the CAT fuel filter aluminum base that was posted on another thread and it does not look critical on how the fuel is fed to it. Maybe someone can post a picture of their CAT fuel head for a comparison.

If it all works out, looks like you have found another way to skin the "cat".
Keep everyone informed on your progress.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I had the Cat and the Perma Cool #81074 side by side and the filter contact area and threads are the same. The only reason I could see for anyone to use the Cat head is if you really want/need the primer. Most installs I've seen did not include the primer so I didn't op for the Cat and have had no problems. I merely filled the inlet side of the filter before spinnig it on, I didn't even pump the primer at all. I have run it now for about 1500 miles without any starting, stalling or faltering problems. I like it a lot!!

2DAMAX

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Perma-cool head this evening, and hope to get started on the install next weekend. As long as the threads and gasket contact area match, I can't see where there would be any other issues. Guess I'll find out if there are any...

·
Registered
994 Posts
You can buy the Perma-Cool head at Summit Racing for $31.50. If it works with the CAT filter as Roegs mentions above, it could be a neat low price way to proceed. Could use one of the smaller CAT filters (1R0750) and tack it pretty easily on the frame rail. The filter head has large 1/2 NPT inlets, so no issues with restriction to flow. The "do it yourself type" could probably put this thing together for less than $75. Follow the link:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRM%2D81794http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=department.asp&d=18&x=18&y=11

Keep us up-to-date Roegs!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I don't have much more info to pass on. I picked up Whooping cough somehow, and have been down with it for the last 4 weeks. The head listed above by OC-DMAX is the same one I plan to use. As mentioned above, I will install the same as dmax2damax, installing using the holes in the frame rail, and bringing the head as close to the floorpan as possible. All the perma-cool heads have the same gasket area and thread size. I hope to use the larger CAT filter. I really think the perma-cool head offers some nice flexability for fuel lines due to its multipe in/out configurations. I also like the 1/2" NPT fittings as mentioned above. I agree that a guy could put this filter together for $75, and have a really nice frame rail mount CAT system using the larger filter.

That said, I've been keeping a close eye on the filter kit RACOR is coming out with, and may hold off on mine until seeing their filter system. Although I like the idea of using a CAT filter, I like some of the other features offered by RACOR, such as water trap, pre-fitted lines, heater, and a tie into the existing DMAX wiring for water alert and heater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts