Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today i went to go change the fuel filter on my truck but forgot to pressure the system and turned it on. It stayed on for 10 seconds and stalled out. Went on to prime with screw closed and got all air out. Did it like 5 times. Checked the Schrader valve and it had some air in it too. Did that another 5 times. Pumped for 50 times or so and when i went to check for air. A lot of fuel came pouring out. Tried turning over for less than 5 seconds and nothing. Took filter off to check o rings and see how much the fuel filter was up to. Full and o rings were good. Any ideas? Truck has 30,000 miles 2014 silverado 2500hd

·
Banned
aka Diesail
21 Posts
Once you get air in the high pressure rail it can be a *****. I have had success by simply holding my foot half way to the floor on the gas peddle and cranking. It will sputter and run horrible for about 30 seconds until the air is gone.

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, in the morning the car turned on and drove fine maybe 20 miles. Stuttered once and pulled over turned off. Didnt turn back on. My friend whos into diesels said while i was turning it over it sounded flooded. When i went to go push on the pump on top it went straight down like no pressure at all

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
thanks, in the morning the car turned on and drove fine maybe 20 miles. Stuttered once and pulled over turned off. Didnt turn back on. My friend whos into diesels said while i was turning it over it sounded flooded. When i went to go push on the pump on top it went straight down like no pressure at all
Pump up the primer button on the filter head and let it sit (preferably overnight) then recheck. If the Primer button is soft you need to find the source of the air intrusion/leak.
First usual suspect is the filter head. rebuild or replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't really flood a diesel. Sounds like a seal problem with the filter and air is getting in to me.
thats what i think. I tightened it once it started getting resistance i tightened it a little more and left it not as much as it could. Could that be the issue? Ill attempt to retighten it and bleed the system again

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
thats what i think. I tightened it once it started getting resistance i tightened it a little more and left it not as much as it could. Could that be the issue? Ill attempt to retighten it and bleed the system again
Pardon if this does not apply to your model, but I hear of folks often not getting the o-rings right on the new filter. Either they forget the o-rings, forget to remove the old o-rings and are now doubled up or they simply get the o-rings in pinched. Another is not tightening the WIF - both the o-ring portion as mentioned and the bleed portion of the WIF. Since you said you just did a filter change, I'm thinking more these filter o-rings than the filter head.

Also, check that the filter seats for the o-rings are not cracked, assuming your filter is plastic inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today i went to go change the fuel filter on my truck but forgot to pressure the system and turned it on. It stayed on for 10 seconds and stalled out. Went on to prime with screw closed and got all air out. Did it like 5 times. Checked the Schrader valve and it had some air in it too. Did that another 5 times. Pumped for 50 times or so and when i went to check for air. A lot of fuel came pouring out. Tried turning over for less than 5 seconds and nothing. Took filter off to check o rings and see how much the fuel filter was up to. Full and o rings were good. Any ideas? Truck has 30,000 miles 2014 silverado 2500hd
I replaced the fuel filter housing. Had a leak where the fuel heater plugs in. Easy to swap out.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
What I do even after swapping injectors....

Prime the filter until you get good fuel out of the bleeder.

Then pump the primer til it gets hard, then have someone crank and try to start while you are pumping the primer as fast as you can.

Only crank for about 15 seconds at a time then pump til primer gets hard again and do it all again.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts