Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed out my fuel filter for the first time and thanks to the info found here it went super easy.

One question though, should there be a gap in between the filter housing and the filter itself where i would be able to see the O-ring? i tried to tighten the filter down further but i stopped before i got out the strap wrench.

thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Did you get the center seal off with the old filter? Most of the time it will stick to the base. Did you prime it and check for leaks then start it and check for leaks? If it does not leak you should be good to go. As far as a gap I never took the time to notice if there is a gap or not.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I do not see a gap between my filter and housing, but if it didn't leak then I guess you are ok. My guess would be the o-ring stayed on the base and is making the gap. I would check it under pressure or make sure you have all the old gaskets out (should be 3 I believe).

Good Luck!

Tim

·
Registered
98 Posts
There are two o rings a big one (size of wrist) and a little one (size of thumb).

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
If the center oring was still on, you would not be able to get the new filter on. Hope you did not donate $50 to a dealer, you can get the them from fleetfilter.com they are great to deal with and the prices are great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info.

i did not leave the upper o-ring on there is just a gap i guess. No leaks either. the old o-rings came off with the old filter.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I will try and go out and snap a pic of mine so you can compare (if the snow ever slows).

·
Registered
825 Posts
Lb7

I have the LB7 motor, and mine has a very small gap between the filter and housing, I mean very small. Now I guess I could tighten it so there is none, but...

Some time ago, I also tried to install the filter and couldn't get it to start. Finally I really applied the pressure and it started, but the gap was so big, I thought I had cross threaded it. So I removed it, took it over to the old filter and compared them. That's when I noticed the new filter had a big o-ring in the center, but the old one did not. Took my inspection mirror over and looked at the filter housing, and whola, there was another one on housing. Removed it, and from there I had no problem. So it can be done, but not without some degree of difficulty.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
You had to of missed one of the seals there should be no gap. Did you remove all 3 seals, 2 orings one on the bottom one on the top and 1 rubber seal that goes in the center of the filter?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
NO gap, even if it doesnt leak, remove inspect and correct, Sure dont want a problem leaking fuel going down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
i agree .. the filter can be put on if you leave the center gasket on..just takes a little extra pressure...not one of my brighter moments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts