Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<DIV id=0></DIV>

<LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="4101426663">I know you cannot change a filter too soon but cost gets into when to change. Yesterday I had the filter changed on my Duramax at 11,000 miles and a cost of $60.00. I try to use fuel where there is a lot of fuel sold. I would also do I need any additives to the fuel and if I do what to use.</LABEL>

<LABEL SessionId="138500925"> Tom
</LABEL>Edited by: bearnc1

·
Registered
9 Posts
A lot of folks on the board agree on changing the filter every 10K. In addition, a non-alcohol additive like FPPF or Rotella DFA should be used on a regular basis. Edited by: MaChInE

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
GM requires a change at 10k .... Try a search and you should find the info you desire ...

Mac

·
Registered
106 Posts
hello all

We try to change them around 5,000 mile range.. Its easy to change and the filters are real cheap.. So why not

From steve
Fleet

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
What!? Cheap? I'm not sure I would agree with that. I just paid $22.50 per fuel filter for a quantity of 10. Not exactly what I would call real cheap. Granted it's better than the dealer price of $41, but cheap it ain't. Now if it were like 5 bucks a filter, yeah I'd change it at 5K, but I'm going for the full 10K.

JPEdited by: Heartbeat Hauler

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mackin---My GM manual says 15,000 for fuel filter change. Where did you come up with the 10K figure?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've only change them out 2 times so far 13K, and 22K, and each time took them apart. Could easily get 15-20K out of them. Get fuel 97% of time at same station. Maybe I just happen to be lucky. I carry a spare filter and bleed screw under the back seat, just in case.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
TX-DMAX said:
Mackin---My GM manual says 15,000 for fuel filter change. Where did you come up with the 10K figure?
It's here some where .... This "Place" has gone nuts ,but I'll find it for you if you can't ..... There is a TSB , why it's not in the TSB forum I dunno,on changing and documenting at 10k for injector warranty .... Give me a little time ,unless someone helps,I'll bring the post forward ....

Mac

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mackin said:
TX-DMAX said:
It's here some where .... This "Place" has gone nuts ,but I'll find it for you if you can't ..... There is a TSB , why it's not in the TSB forum I dunno,on changing and documenting at 10k for injector warranty .... Give me a little time ,unless someone helps,I'll bring the post forward ....

Mac

Mac, if the manual says 15K, a TSB won't make a whole lot of difference if there is no notification to the owner of the change, and there certainly has been no notification from the General on this one. If we didn't have a forum like this, most of us mechanically challenged folk wouldn't even know about the need for a filter change.

·
Registered
514 Posts
MaChInE said:
A lot of folks on the board agree on changing the filter every 10K. In addition, a non-alcohol additive like FTTP or Rotella DFA should be used on a regular basis.

I'm CERTAIN that Machine meant to say FPPF which really is an additive. It will probably much easier to find on the net or at the station than whatever FTTP is?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Heartbeat Hauler said:
What!? Cheap? I'm not sure I would agree with that. I just paid $22.50 per fuel filter for a quantity of 10. Not exactly what I would call real cheap. Granted it's better than the dealer price of $41, but cheap it ain't. Now if it were like 5 bucks a filter, yeah I'd change it at 5K, but I'm going for the full 10K.

JP

$22.50 each??? Where did you find them that cheap?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I simply coincide with other maintenance like oil changes. Been changing at 7k although my oil could go 20k. At this interval, I see a lot of gray iron deposits oulining where I have installed my Filtermag indicating there is a lot of steel/iron debris in our fuel!

Been looking at annual or 30k interval on my Mega as 15k hadn't even started to show...

Additionally, I use/sell FPPF Total Power in ALL diesel fuel that I burn. I believe so strongly in clean, dry fuel that I am looking at having a 304 SS storage tank built...Edited by: Kennedy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, FPPF. My bad.
Spending too much time in the telecom world

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Rookiew/DMAX,

Drop me an email and I will give you the low down. I say e-mail because I'm not sure how this broadcasting vendor prices protocol thing works. And I don't wanna put the vendor in a bind. Here is my e-mail:

[email protected]Edited by: Heartbeat Hauler

·
Registered
369 Posts
Heartbeat Hauler said:

JP

You need to shop around some more.... i paid $16 a piece (quanitiy of three) for fuel filters from oil guard.com 6 pack quanitites are $15 a piece.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can't get more than 7500 miles before I lose low-end power and get a WOT hesitation...MPG starts to drop, too, but don't know why. I buy 90% of my fuel from the same high-volume Mobil dealer. Yet I have a buddy at work with 30K miles and never a filter replacement....he doesn't travel much and buys all fuel from one station....must be a good one.

My filtering is all stock, but will be adding something one of these days. Changing the fuel filter 4X a year is a royal pain.

After paying $40 for my first filter from GM I bought a 3-pack on the web for $48...or $16 each. Many posters here have better deals, I'm sure!

·
Registered
514 Posts
MaChInE said:
Yes, FPPF. My bad.
Spending too much time in the telecom world

Hehe... I thought you HAD to work in the IT field when I saw what you typed... either that or you found the Fuel Transfer Tempest Product

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
gsxr1216,

I did do some shopping and found some cheaper vendors, but the filters, although probably made by Racor, are rebadged with other names, names that might make you squeemish...or at least it made me feel that way. The other reason I went this route is that the vendor is a member here and I don't mind paying a few bucks extra in order to develop a relationship...vendor/customer that is..

JP

·
Registered
369 Posts
Heartbeat Hauler said:
gsxr1216,

I did do some shopping and found some cheaper vendors, but the filters, although probably made by Racor, are rebadged with other names, names that might make you squeemish...or at least it made me feel that way. The other reason I went this route is that the vendor is a member here and I don't mind paying a few bucks extra in order to develop a relationship...vendor/customer that is..

JP

These are genuine Paker hannifin filters (parent company of racor i beleive) Parker is well known in filters so i had no issues buying them.

FWIW i have also bought filters from Eric.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey guys, if you're looking for cheap filters, check Eric's prices. $18 shipped and they were cheaper before he raised the prices to help make a little cash. Which is ok, eric, that wasn't meant as a slam.
Maybe he'll do a group buy after christmas and the prices will be lower??????
thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts