Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone my truck just rolled over 14k miles and my change fuel filter indicator came on in my dash. I mean I thought these things are supposed to be changed every 25k-50k. I havent done anything wierd to my truck all I have done is exhaust and intake. Is this normal or might I have a larger problem on my hands. Thanks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I dont think its based soley on mileage, more so on conditions and things of that sort.. Best to change it anyway, cheap insurance, better then trying to do it on the side of the road or calling a wrecker to tow it somewhere safe to do it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The filter change looks pretty simple. Is there any difference on filters and where is a good place to get them from. Thanks

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Fuel filter DIC warning will come on around 15k or so... oil change is around 10k.

Best to change the tranny spin-on filter with EVERY oil change. The owner's manual says to change it at 5k and "never again", but if it gets plugged, your tranny is toast.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I think most change 'em every 10K...good insurance...
http://www.fleetfilter.com/ and click on "diesel quick buy" ...best prices I've seen.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel filter DIC warning will come on around 15k or so... oil change is around 10k.

Best to change the tranny spin-on filter with EVERY oil change. The owner's manual says to change it at 5k and "never again", but if it gets plugged, your tranny is toast.
wait wait wait... I have to change my tranny spin on filter at 5k oops. Dammit this is my first diesel and I'm not used to these things how do I do that and is it a pain.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
wait wait wait... I have to change my tranny spin on filter at 5k oops. Dammit this is my first diesel and I'm not used to these things how do I do that and is it a pain.
Yup.

And there is a ring magnet on top of the filter... remove it, CLEAN it, and reinstall it on top of the replacement filter.

Change the filter with the tranny cold and you won't lose much fluid... just fill the new filter until no more will soak in (I fill mine while I'm changing the oil).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.