Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everyone that cuts open a filter posts pics like it's their first born, I thought I'd do the same.
Here's mine after 10k:

It wasn't too bad changing the filter, but I dropped a 1/4" rachet and extension/socket while loosening the bleeder screw. Yep. Plinko down the side of the engine bay. I heard it hit the floor and thought I was in the clear until all I saw was the extension and socket. I could not find that rachet at all! So I finished with the filter change and started the truck. First few revolutions of the motor and I heard a clank on the cement...yep, the rachet fell out from wherever it was hiding.
never fails....

·
Registered
234 Posts
So, how does one cut the filter open. What tool are you guys using? I just changed mine because of a very ugly running truck and it seemed to fix it. I thought I was going to be at the dealer getting injectors checked. Man this was running real bad. Would like to see the inside of the filter that I took off after only 8K miles. Thanks in advacne for the help.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just used a hacksaw. Little more work than an exhaust cutter that many use, but it got the job done.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I used a reciprocating saw (on a new filter by mistake! From NAPA and rusted).

·
Registered
403 Posts
I used a pair of channel lock pliers, broke thru at big end, and peeled the filter open like a can of sardines. Element was dark and discolored like one above, except went much further up the side. This was at 11k.

Also, inside the can was a lot of loose debris. This is my first diesel in 50 years of driving, and I can't believe how much crap is in the fuel! This from a new truck! You can expect some trash in a gas vehicle that has been around long enough for the old style metal tank to start rusting, etc.

But to have this much garbage in a new vehicle with a tank that doesn't rust {plastic} is a serious indictment of our fuel supply network and the oil companies that have been stealing us blind these last 30 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts