Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my fuel filter at 9500 miles. When it was around -20 F When I started my Duramax I got a Water in Fuel light. I got it inside and checked the drain, no water just fuel. So today I changed the fuel filter. Click on the link below to see pictures of the filter. The particles on the filter are metal from the hack saw I cut it with.

http://www.bigmoes.net/filter.htmEdited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Oh man thats realy realy bad. Your injectors wont last long.

Get the nictane filter kit and use primrose 409.

Hurry.....

·
Registered
612 Posts
BigMoe ....

Took one off my truck that looked about the same .... seeing it pushed me into the post-OEM aftermarket filter .... while prefiltering is perfectly OK, if your OEM filter can introduce particles into the fuel, seemed reasonable to want a second filter between it and the injectors,

Jim

·
Registered
663 Posts
IMHO, that looks like another defective filter that was corroded (pre-rusted) when it was installed...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I first looked at ti I thought it was corroded, but all the stuff in the bottom wiped right out with a rag. It looked like new after that no rust at all. The sediment looked like scaley rust. After wiping it out it was more like sludge. I have been buying most of my fuel from a truck stop, that really moves a lot of fuel.Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
490 Posts
If it wiped right out it might be algae. I get similar crap in the bottom glass on my diesel tractors fuel filters.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I thought the outside of the filter was upstream (fuel flow from the outside to the inside of the filter element) from the injectors, is that right? If so, looks like the filter kept the junk from heading to the motor, right?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
srode said:
I thought the outside of the filter was upstream (fuel flow from the outside to the inside of the filter element) from the injectors, is that right? If so, looks like the filter kept the junk from heading to the motor, right?

Yes your right. I don't think I will go much over 6000 miles before I change it again. I am planning on installing a pre filter of somekind. Finances don't look good for that at the present.

·
Registered
663 Posts
BIGMoe said:
... all the stuff in the bottom wiped right out with a rag. It looked like new after that no rust at all... The sediment looked like scaley rust. After wiping it out it was more like sludge ...

BigMoe,

Interesting ...
Had you been using an additive? Maybe the sludge was precipitated by the aquabloc media and/or additive?? I remember seeing pictures on another site with some orange sludge. Looks like your filter was doing it's job!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Here was mine at 10k. Not great, but appears to be a little better than yours at 9500 miles. No scum/rust at the bottom of the filter either.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
before i started running primrose i used to see some brownish sludge in the bottom of my filters, however it all seemed to collect together istead of spread out like yours.. maybe the temps had something to do with that.. all i can say is additive..

·
Registered
17 Posts
BIGMoe,

I changed my fuel filter today, 2nd time at 22,500 mi. Mine had the exact same rust and scale. The water collector was full of rust and stained orange. I've read other posts indicating that it may be microbes etc. I don't think so. Mine clearly was a rusty grit. Neither of my first two filters had this rusty grit. However, I did run my tank almost dry about a month ago. The truck started to gasp when I reached the pump. I'm guessing I picked up water and junk at the bottom of my tank.

JSM

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the key here guys is to change it often. The manual simply is not sufficient enough saying at 15000 miles. I change mine four times a year with the oe filter, and the filter is realitively clean with no rust or water. A lot depends on the grade and cleanliness of the fuel. Run premium diesel fuel. Most fueling companies run additives in the winter. Be cautious of where your fuel is bought, if possible and change the filters often. I feel that is the key to injector life.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LeftCoastMax said:
Mine had the exact same rust and scale. The water collector was full of rust and stained orange.

My water collector was also full of rust and stained orange. I cleaned it up with some carberator cleaner. The filter I put on was a WIX filter but sure it was a repackaged Raycon. From what I have read Raycor makes all of this type of fuel filter. A friend of mine was told by his dealer they wouldn't warrenty his Duramax if he used anything but AC Delco. The parts man at the dealership I use told me the AC Delco is a repackaged Raycor.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i agree with duston changt those filters. the fuel out there is junk... i got one i am working on one with 4000k miles and the filter is full of rust and one injecton line corroded. its not gm its fuel.........

·
Registered
17 Posts
BIGMoe,

I wanted to be sure that the what I found in my filter was in fact rusty metal particles. I scraped some out and sure enough, it stuck to a magnet. Based on your photo, I can tell you that the rusty debris in my filter looks just like yours. My filter was a Delco, purchased at the dealer. The bigger mystery is where did it come from? My first two filters were clean. The fuel tanks are plastic and there is no steel fittings along the way that would account for this much debris. I'm considering stopping at the dealer tomorrow to see if any of the techs have a clue. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

JSM

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember reading about dirty fuel a few months ago. Diesel Power posted a PDF article http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1281&KW=diesel+fuel. I think it will solve part of the mistery. One of my sons works for a Petroleium Distributing Company. I questioned him about it. He said they are very carful about how they take care of their hoses and all, but he knows of other Distributers that could care less. In fact he just seen one of them dragging a hose along a dirt road.Edited by: BIGMoe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts