Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filter removed at 7545 miles. Cut open with a kitchen knife and vice grips...gitr'dun. The small amount of brown crap is not rust, because it wipes right off. Had some in the bottom of the wif sensor too. Cleaned out with a q-tip. O-ring was a pain in the friggin ass to get it to sit the hell still. It is not leaking, so I assume it stayed seated when I installed the bastard. NO ADDITIVES

·
Registered
52 Posts
It doesn't look to bad. Any pre-filtration?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
Filter removed at 7545 miles. Cut open with a kitchen knife and vice grips...gitr'dun. The small amount of brown crap is not rust, because it wipes right off. Had some in the bottom of the wif sensor too. Cleaned out with a q-tip. O-ring was a pain in the friggin ass to get it to sit the hell still. It is not leaking, so I assume it stayed seated when I installed the bastard. NO ADDITIVES

"Cut open with a kitchen knife and vice grips..."

Man! You can do one of those Ginsu knife infomercials.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
That looks pretty bad for 7500 miles. Where do you get your fuel? Later! Frank

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
"Cut open with a kitchen knife and vice grips..."

Man you BAD to Da Bone!!!!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank Blum said:
That looks pretty bad for 7500 miles. Where do you get your fuel? Later! Frank

You are looking at the worst part of the filter itself, the other sides look almost new. The bowl has zero rust, so that's not bad in my book. *shrugs* I buy it all around, and change the filter often. Usually from high use places.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I used some grease to hold the pre-formed packing (O-ring) in the groove while I installed the filter. That worked very well.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
O-ring was a pain in the friggin ass to get it to sit the hell still. It is not leaking, so I assume it stayed seated when I installed the bastard.

Sometimes that O-ring can get you "more frustrated than a Powerjoke driver trying to chase Mac down on the interstate".

"GIT-R-DONE"

·
Registered
747 Posts
Trippin said:
Sometimes that O-ring can get you "more frustrated than a Powerjoke driver trying to chase Mac down on the interstate".

"GIT-R-DONE"

Guess I'm not the only LTCG fan on The Place!

·
Registered
612 Posts
glad to see no rust .... haven't gotten over the badly rusted one that came off my truck a while back ...

(Note to self .... under no conditions loan Wickedspirit my Buck knife!
)

Jim

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahahaha...I only destroyed one kitchen knife in the process...no doubt from hammering on it on the filter, then used the vice grips to peel back the metal like a sardine can around the circumference. Had to first use vice grips to roll back the bead they press on the top. Took about 15 minutes, wish my pipe cutter was bigger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I changed mine on 2-1-04 and am a little upset at the amount of rust found in the can. Filter was in great shape with 8,300 miles on it. Filter was only about 1/3 used up and could have gone much longer if not for the rust. I don't use fuel additives. Wickedsprint a hacksaw works great to open up the filter. Only took about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can use a cutoff wheel in a drill also works fast.

I can see it all now, dinner for 8, sets the table and wife says where's my other steak knife?? LOL....

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I used a hatchet to get the first one open.

What a mess that made.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just recently changed mine at 10077 miles. It looked about like the one pictured above. The side where the fuel inlet came in at the top, was a whole lot dirtier than the opposite side. The inside of my can was clean when I cut it open with a hacksaw (less than 5 minutes of cutting). I run no additives and don't have any pre-oem filteration. About 25 minutes using dmaxalliTech's procedure to modify the air conditioning line, pretty well wrapped up the job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts