Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2003 4500 I just picked up, only 2500 miles on it!!! As I start to learn the ins and out of this truck I have only one complaint. When I fuel it up using a standard fuel hose it always shoots out at me when almost full. I have a dump truck bed and the angle for the fuel fillernecks is very shallow. I even try to slow down and listen no matter what speed I pump at it spills. Not only is it liquid gold these days but I don't care for the environmental issues.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this. Thanks!!

P.S. I am sure I will be asking more of you all in the future as I 'modify' this truck a little. ):h

Scott

·
Registered
710 Posts
There is a 1" hose going from the back side of the filler neck to a fitting right at the tank. Make sure that the hose isn't kinked, or pinched anywhere. If it even has a small pinch in it, it will cause the problem you are having. Also, having too shallow an angle on the hose will lead to the same thing, but is harder to do something about. You need at least a 3-4 degree angle to get good flow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dirt Dog!! I will check it out and make sure I have no kinks. Also I will try to take a picture to see if anyone is feeling creative in how I can fix the angle of the filler.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If I had that problem I'd just have my wife fill up for me all the time :joke:

·
Registered
710 Posts
If I had that problem I'd just have my wife fill up for me all the time :joke:
Yeah, but what's the Quid Pro Quo? I don't like laundry, doing the dishes or vacumming, so what's left?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a great idea... "hey honey can you fill the dump truck up!!" Problem is she looks too damn cute in it when she drives it... can't have that now!! ):h Guess I'll get some pics and see what you master minds suggest. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
At least you can fill yours. I don't know what the heck is wrong with mine. I can't even hardly get fuel to go in the rear tank.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the same problem I have a 2x12x18 and drive rear wheel on driver side on it more or less problem solved.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I made mine a little better by putting a 2x4 on a jack and bending the support up some. Self serve is illegal here in Jersey so I don't have to deal with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah...been dere done dat. I too have the same problem. Added an extra fuel tank and unless I have both caps open, neither will fill. Big nozzles at the truck stop just do not work. Pulling an 27' trailer makes it hard to use the pumps with the smaller nozzles. Plus, 'cause I am short, have to put a step on the wheel in order to get the right angle. Asking the hubby to do it is not gonna happen. So, I am I sure that the folks watching me fill up get something funny to watch. Oh well. Still like the truck when I am pulling out in the middle of no where.
Rodeo Me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts