Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out last week ordered the filler for the 4500 part number 15040338. Picked it up yesturday and worked on it today.
Looking at it all together, looks like it would work perfect...very simple filler rubber hose...tank intake. Right? Very Wrong! I went out and bought a cap for the elbow on the filler that looks like it is a vent...works good. Bought a connector to join my two copper bonding straps together...no problems. Start taking the clamps off....come to find out there is a cheap plastic tube running inside of the hose....no problem I'll just remove the clamp and hose from the tank and pull it out....I could not get it out. It looks like is a vent system inside the hose.

The two things that are bumming me out:

1. The fact that I have been doing things to this truck to get it up to speed...my speed and it only has 3,000miles on it...new shocks, new tires, new fuel filter on order, new $45 filler that might not work. And for some strang reason I just can not get excited about it.

2. When I went to several dealers asking them about this idea I had with swithcing to the 4500 filler all they(two different dealerships) could tell me is "you might get a check engine light". This was there professional help to me.

I really have nothing else to say...I wish I had looked over the truck just alittle harder in the dealers lot. And wish I could have found a Good Parts guy when I ordered the filler.

I just don't get it. Why does it have to be this hard.

$49,000 sticker it shouild not be this hard at all.

·
Registered
514 Posts
NoWake, I'd have to agree that the stock shocks are junk. I replaced mine very quickly after purchase of the truck. My 99 Z71 had OEM Tenneco shocks on it and they were junk too. Mine came with Firestone tires which weren't up to my expectations so they were given to a friend with 99.9% of the tread still there. Additional fuel filter came later but that was because of a lot of prototype problems that other folks were having. I bought Nick's kit shortly after it came out due to very few problems and it is just a VERY well thought out kit.

As for the parts pickers and not being able to answer part swapping implications, I wouldn't expect too many of them to be able to really help you other than to find the part number and pull it off the shelf for you. Most of them have little or no experience swapping parts and with that lack of experience comes little experience with issues caused by swapping. There's way too many parts in the inventory for them to really be able to tell you what will work when you're trying to do something that didn't come from the factory that way.

You may still be able to use that filler you bought. The TransferFlow Fast Fill for the OEM tank consisted of: the filler neck which has a tube sticking out the side of it and is held to the body with 3 screws, an intermediate metal piece which is spliced into the rubber OEM filler hose somewhere just to the outside of the frame. This intermediate pipe also has a tube sticking out the side. The two metal pipes are connected via hose and this is the vent for the system, but I beleive it also had a piece which sticks down into the tank. It sounds like you have 1 part of that system. If you look through the parts diagrams the intermediate piece that is in the TransferFlow kit may be available as a part of that 4500 OEM setup. If it is available, just purchase it, remove the 3 screws retaining the OEM filler neck and vent, remove the OEM filler hose, splice the intermediate piece in, and reassemble, connecting the tubes instead of blocking them off. On mine the plastic tube was pulled out with the OEM filler neck as 1 assembly at least it was on the 02 and I don't think they changed it for 04.

Look through the parts manual for another piece farther down the filler tube and that MAY be the key to making your set-up work out for you.

If not maybe you can return that piece you bought because you're almost half way to the cost of the TransferFlow kit already and I have NO idea if the other parts are available to complete the set-up so it works correctly are available through the dealer.Edited by: Hound

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...

The parts guy at my old dealership has GREAT if he did not have the answer we would of had it for my at the end of the day. It will be hard to fill his shoes.

Anyway...I do not think they will take it back.

This one piece you are talking about...it that the plactic tube inside of my rubber hose?

·
Registered
514 Posts
The plastic piece and the original filler neck, where the fuel nozzle goes in, get completely removed as 1 assembly. The 3 screws in the body get removed and the filler neck can be pulled out, along with it comes that plastic tube because they are locked together as 1 assembly via a crimp-on clamp. A new filler neck replaces this entire assembly, the filler neck sounds a lot like the piece you purchased. Farther down the rubber fuel filler hose there is an additional metal piece that gets spliced into the OEM filler hose just outside of the frame rail. This piece is about 5" long and the same OD as the end of the filler neck which attaches to the hose. It requires that about 3" be removed from the filler hose so in essence you have something that goes like: new filler neck, OEM fuel filler hose, new vent adapter, OEM fuel filler hose and then the OEM tank. This new vent adapter has a tube protruding from the outside and is connected to an identical tube protruding from the new filler neck. On the inside of this new vent adapter is a tube and some hose that runs on the inside of the OEM filler hose down into the tank. By creating an external vent line they eliminated the need for the plastic tube vent inside of the OEM filler hose. This new vent adapter sounds like the piece you need to make your filler neck work and vent properly and is possibly an OEM piece as your filler neck has an external vent on it which went somewhere, either the 4500 tank or possibly an OEM vent adapter farther down on the fuel hose. Edited by: Hound

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hound thank you very much for the great details. I just can not figure out why GM would not have just one diesel tank(filler) set up for the trucks. I would also think it would save GM money if they had one filler set up. This truely floors me...

Nothing I can do about GM and there ideas...I am off the change there hard work

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, just ordered them TransferFlow. But the bad thing is it will not ship out until 2nd.

Taking out the plastic tube DOES NOT WORK....took a diesel bath. The guy on the phone told me the TransferFlow is the same set up I had on my Stroker...he was also woundering why GM still has this type of filler set up on the tanks. He told me Ford got away from the set up GM uses in 1997.

Now I have to fuel with care the nest two weeks. And I have a road trip coming up to make matters worse.

Another $150 spent on a band new truck to get it up to speed. I am really thinking of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I fill up at the big truck pumps all the time and never have any problem. you just have to pump a little slower. no big deal.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did it slow still did not work...even went to the auto fuel pumps and it did it there also. The vent does play a major roll in fuel....now it another $150 out of my pocket to make it work correct.

This is a very poorly designed fuel filler system. I am glad it is working for everyone, it must be me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
NoWake200----Sorry to read about all of your fueling problems. I've honestly never had a problem with my truck fueling up. I normally use the small nozzle pump set wide open. I've also used the large nozzle pumps by holding the nozzle tip in as far as it will go and pumping fuel in slowly. (This is about as fast as you can fuel with a small nozzle anyway)---------------Good Luck!!!!!!--------------Phil

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nowake Man you should get rid of the max and get you a 2002 ford, then you'll appreciate the stock fill capabilities of the max. On my ford after the first click of the auto cut off, it took, no kidding... 8-10 minutes to get the last 4 gallons into the tank. Talk about sucking!

The biggest problem is the foam, especially in the winter when the bubbles pop slow. If you can find a way to stop the foam, the fill would go fast as gasoline, and a fill kit would not be needed.

Doug

·
Registered
38 Posts
my ford has duel tanks... one tank i have to shove it all the way in. the other, i have to hold pump out to the point one can see fuel going in they both splash back if i dont baby the last 3 gal.Edited by: mako

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the Transerflow 45 gallon tank with the large filler neck installed shortly after I got the truck. Go with the setup, you won't regret it. You will go to the large truck pump and "let it rip
"!

Good Luck,

·
Registered
174 Posts
First the general problem of parts swapping; I don't expect parts people to know about parts interchange, it just isn't their job - any more than I would consult on rocket surgery
The people who DO know about this stuff is the upfitters, they put bodies (dumps, platforms, campers, etc.) on truck and van chassis/cabs. There is a GM site for them, I posted a link to an article on it for the fast idle discussion.

re: slow fills. There are anti foaming agents, I used to use one on my '87 'burb, but havn't found it necessary on the d'max. I have a chassis/cab with an alumin platform and thought I was going to have MAJOR problems with the fillers (two tanks), they're just so damned horizontal. Strangely enough they're fine, though I don't use the big truck hose at full speed. The point is that my upfitter knew how to rig the filler tubes and vents even with the fill hoses almost horizontal.
Here's GM's site that helps upfitters;
https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/html/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts