Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my fuel filter and tranny filter today, but not sure if there is something i should know before i do? Who makes the best filters, or does it not matter? Also what about fuel filter, thats the one that i am really worried about. thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
Stock fuel filters are all the same. 1 unit repackaged by many.

I don't know of any tranny filter out there other than the Allison unit either. Lots of luck finding one of those at the local auto store.

You might be better ordering the filters from a vendor and waiting a few days to do the job.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tranny filter is easy...just dont go too far past 1 turn after gasket contact. Fuel filter is easy too... Just disconnect the WIF sensor which is secured on the engine and use a Ziplock bag under the filter in case of any spills. Make sure that the center gasket is off the post and on the filter when you remove it too. Otherwise its awful hard to get the new one on.

FirstDiesel's probably right about ordering the filters though. Local dealer prices tend to be AWFUL high. Fuel filters should cost you between 16-20.00 each and the tranny spin-on should be 9-10.00 if you order from some of the vendors here. BTW Baldwin also makes a spin-on tranny filter for the Allison. Edited by: Hound

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ltrain,

Baldwin makes a nice heavy duty oil filter. As for the tranny filter find a local Detroit/Allison shop. As for the fuel filter, that's a tough one, I get mine online in 3 packs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Baldwin makes a nice Allison filter BT-8460.

Find your local Baldwin dealer or distributor and by several filters at a time. Should same some bucks. DON'T use FRAM!!!!!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Hound wrote, (Make sure that the center gasket is off the post and on the filter when you remove it too. Otherwise its awful hard to get the new one on.
)

I sure had a hard time getting mine back on. Could you explain more about that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts