Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to diesels (sub compact tractor) and B20 so please bear with me on my newbie questions.

I see -20F in the winter and use my diesel tractor to blow snow. The tractor sits outside, it does have a block heater and glow plugs but that doesn't help with the fuel gelling.

What do people recommend adding to B20 in the winter and.......... in the summer.

Do I need to add 2 things to the B20 in the winter to handle the #2 side and add something to handle the Bio part?

Thanks

DEWFPO

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I have absolutely no cold temp BD experience with it, but Ive heard that Primrose has a BD specific additive that is supposed to help you out.

Always always test in a cup instead of the injection system.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
FPPF has one also.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
I didn't have enough B100 to bring my blend to B20 when I filled. I have 500 gallons of Amoco Premier #2 NON winterized mixed with 30 gallons B100 in my tank. I treated this fuel with 2x strength FPPF Total Power and a bottle of FPPF B20 additive.

As I understand, you'll want to treat the petro fuel with a petro additive and the Bio fuel with a Bio additive. Recently we hit temps below -20°f. My pump delivered fuel with no problem. I put some fuel in a cup and left it out over night. In the am, the fuel was just showing signs of what appeared to be waxing. I wasn't thinking when I did this and had the cup uncovered so frost settled into it duh.

·
Registered
334 Posts
John, you are running a lift pump on said truck right? In my experience cold bio even in low percentages gets so "thick" before it gells it wil not suck through the oem filter to well. Even at moderate temps higher percentages of bio increase my filter restriction 2-3" over straight #2. I doubt any additives would do anything for this, but a good lift pump would!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I would be most concerned over any additional settling that would occur as the temperature dropped. It would depend on the feedstock of the biodiesel used...but I have noticed that with the cold temperature in California...my biodiesel has had additional settling.

I use a lift pump and it does sound like it works a little harder in the 40 degree mornings. My blend is around B50.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The B20 I am using is Blue Sun Biodiesel. It is 'brewed' and mixed here in Colorado and supposedly has a real good additive package. It should for the price I just paid $3.02/gallon when regular gasoline is $2.34 gallon..

http://www.bluesunbiodiesel.com/

DEWFPO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts