Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 D-max has 17,500 miles on it. Should I be using a fuel additive, and if so, which one? I drive mostly in town, and tow rarely at this point. Also wondering about synthetic oils and lubes...So far I have had the dealer do all oil changes and such. I just want what's best for my truck.

Thank you,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fireman,

There is a lot of info on the board on these topics...try doing a search on additive and synthetic. The short answer is that additives come in two basic types...emulsifiers and demulsifiers. There is the GM recommendation which seems to be contradicted by a fair amount of current fuel technology research, or the choice of going with an emulsifier like Primrose or FPPF. Usining one is probably a good thing to use, but you need to research the option and decide which way you want to go. So too with synthetic oils/lubes. There are a lot of opinions as to which is the best one...search, read, and make an informed decision that is right for you.

John

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ooopppsss, sorry dmaxalliTech...did not see which forum this was in. That darn active topic button is so easy, but I loose track where I am.

John

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading about the injector issues (bought my truck in Sept, 2001), I am concerned about potential injector failure, and I want to do what I can to avoid any problems.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Fireman

I trust someone like George from AVLube who does oil and fuel tests daily and really has nothing to gain by telling us his position. The amount of additives he sells us certainly isn't making him rich.

He beleives in extra filtration and emulsifying additives.

Good enough for me. I added a Post OEM MEGA Filter from Kennedy and I use Total Power mixed with 8+ centane booster and a maintenance dose of a biocide to prevent algae from forming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts