Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone else is using for fuel additive out there currently I am using the Howes Lubricant and it seems alright but I haven't really noticed any big changes. Living in Canada it's going to have to have antigel. Also where does everyone find the best fuel (which gas station??)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I use Kleen Flo fuel conditioner, it has all the anti gel properties. My Dad’s been using it for years for his tractor, skidder and truck through out our cold winters. I stick to what works.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Stanadyne Performance Formula is a pretty popular one. I use it. I also use FPPF total power and FPPF Jet A+ Diesel Fuel Conditioner. The Jet A+ Diesel Fuel Conditioner is my favorite so far, but I use whatever is convienient.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I use Power Service Diesel Kleen in the gray bottle, Wal-mart sells it cheep and I've heard some good stuff on it so...

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Power Service gray bottle in the summer, Power Service white bottle when it gets below freezing.

Fuel up at high volume truck stops for the freshest diesel.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I have used both Power Service and Stanadyne. They both work. Don't get fooled by the Power Service being cheaper, because you have to use more to get the same effect as 8 oz. of Stanadyne. I use 8 oz. for the 26 gallon tank. I believe you have to use 16 oz. of Power Service for the equivalent. You get what you pay for! ;) Most of the time at least. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
a 32 ounce bottle of Power Service treats 100 gallons.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've been using stanadyne performance formula and haven't had any problems. I've run straight #2 with stanadyne in there with no gelling, even driving down the road when it was -15 F. I do tend to overdose a little just to be safe. The extra lubrication can't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Power Service from Wally World.

·
Registered
482 Posts
TurboBuick3030;1576150; said:
Stanadyne Performance Formula
Yep Stanadyne... ):h So Far So Good...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2006 LBZ and the Duramax Manual says that fuel addatives are not approved for the engine and may damage fuel components. I asked my dealer and he couldn't give me a reason or a recomendation other than to say GM doesn't recomend using addative. He couldn't give me a good answer about keeping fuel from gelling. I have been driving diesels for over 20 years (previous ride was 7.3 powerstroke) and I have ALLWAYS used anti-gel addative in winter. I have also always added 15 - 20% kerosene to the fuel when it gets real cold. Chevy dealer did give me an answer on using kero in the LBZ and said it is OK.

Has anyone else tried to get an answer from GM/Chevy on using an addative when the manual says not to??? Anybody find anything that is "approved for use" by GM. Any reason any of the common and widely used addatives will "possibly cause damage to the fuel system components"???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think that the concern is about additives with alcohol in them. Something about how water is affected when in the fuel system with alcohol based additives. There are many here on DP that are more knowledgable that I about this.

·
Registered
271 Posts
x2 for the howes Have a trucker friend that does Alaska trips on a regular basis. 20+ years. never had an issue, x2 for the high volume truck stops (major). Dont fuel up when you see them taking on a fresh delivery. A good stop will have the pumps bagged off ,so you can't pump till a the S**t settles back down into the underground tank:cool:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
fishfinder;1576425; said:
Anybody find anything that is "approved for use" by GM. ..............
Thanks
The only one GM recommends if someone wants to run additives is Stanadyne.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
bosch recommends stanadyne for all there injection systems. thats good enough for me.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Howes all the way.Never had any issues in 33 years.Just found out that United Van Lines runs it exclusively in all their 6700 tractors.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What ever you use, double dose when it gets below 0... IMHO

1 - 20 of 51 Posts