Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<DIV>I use a fuel additive always, and it's hard to estimate the amount to add at full up time, so I usually error on the plus side and add more than I really need. I don't think it matters, but I just wondered what you guys think about it?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Thanks</DIV>

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
What do you use?

How much fuel in the tank when you fill up?

And how much is "error on the plus side"?

I use Stanadyne and it comes in bottles that treat 60 gals. I use half of a bottle every fill up (about 28 gallons) and I fill up at about the same mileage each time. So, sometimes the additive is a little more, sometimes a little less. I don't think it has to be rocket science and get the additive parts per million perfect....but that's just me.

JP

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use FPPF Total Power and try to stick to the leaner side of the recommeded amount. During the winter I'll up the amount per tank by 1.5 ounces. Still within recommended amount though. I use one of those premeasured squirt bottles (I think it was a Stabil gas conditioner bottle) cleaned it out and use it for measuring. As long as you don't exceed the recommended amount you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If you know a large animal vet, ask for a few 60 cc syringes. My wife is a horse vet, so I have a good supply of the big syringes. 1 oz. equals ~30 cc, so I just keep several syringes loaded all the time and squirt in just the amount I need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get yourself a STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer empty bottle to use to measure what you need in either ML or OZ.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do use a measuring bottle, but some times when your at a half tank and add enough to cover (12.5 gallons in my case) and then you only can get 11 gallons in because maybe the pump island is not level, therefore you have over treated the fuel.

I always add my additive first so the flow of fuel mixes the additive through the whole tank.

BTW here is where I get my bottles, I get ten at a time cause there cheep. Go Here and take a look, I get the 32oz size number 66100 http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=Dispensers&product%5Fid=Accurately+Measures+And+DispensesEdited by: John R

·
Registered
509 Posts
I use Rotella and fill up at or near half tank. I went to the pharmacy at Wally World and bought 4oz bottles they use for cough medicine. 4 for a dollar. 4oz of Rotella treats half a tank of diesel. Works just fine!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Primrose 405/409 measured in a cleaned out Sta-Bil bottle. Check the DIC before filling up add the additive and fill; DIC has only been off at the most 1/2 gal.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Where are you guys buying your additives?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The station where I get 99% of my fuel adds the lubricity and cetane boosters, they're a distributor and they sell an awful lot of diesel fuel around this County to truck stops and farmers, but have their own stations as well.

So since my truck is not driven much, I only add the germicide to prevent any possible bacteria growth. The Stanadyne I'm using comes in bottles just like John R's posted link, and it works really well for measuring, but I usually guess on the gallons based on experience and put in the additive first, that usually produces a small error on the plus side.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
114 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

i use "howes", and the amt depends on if it's winter or summer...the shop forman where my baby is serviced advised me to use it, and that an error on the plus side wudn't do any harm...

i use a plastic cup with oz/cc lines on it that my nurse neighbor gets me at the hospital where she works
</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
288 Posts
Stanadyne p/f comes in marked bottles, easy as it gets. I do put it in after fill and drive down real bumpy road on way home. I believe it gets real well mixed. Never had any problem.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
John R,

To answer your question about overtreating. It won't hurt a thing. At every oil change I usually give it a double dose to super clean the injectors.(May or may not be needed) There is no ingredient that will harm any elastomers if used in excess but too much would only be a waste of money. I also use the medicine bottles that Oldman uses from Wally World. There are sizes from 1.5 oz. -> up. I just fill a few and stick em in the truck.Edited by: a bear

·
Registered
60 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">8 oz. Gerber baby bottle works for me. Just need to cut off top of nipple (ouch!!)</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts