Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to remote mount the PMD, is the SSDiesel Supply Heat-Sync a reliable choice, when mounted to the intake manifold? I like the idea of not having any extra wiring connectors.

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
The SSDiesel cooler is a knock off of the orginal Beta cooler that Lindstrom in Sweden came up with. Like TC an many others I had a failure with the intake mount that Beta and SS suggest. The problem as I see it is that things that are cooler tend to get hotter in a hot enviroment. These trucks came with 190F thermostats so you engine when brought up and run awhile will reach that temp. You shut down engine and what happens is your "heat sink" for the FSD is now a heat sink for the engine and temp rises on the driver after shut down. In MHO the intake mounted heat sinks are only better than pump mount in that they are easier to change when the driver fails. Lindstom and I got into a heated debate about this (on another forum) and he took his ball and ego went home. The point is the intake mount was a good idea that was flawed and from real life expierences does little too to solve the problem. Thats my story and I'm sticking too it. The drivers on the intake seem to last from 25,000 miles too ???? depending on the luck of the draw.
I for one believe that Heaths Issolator is a decent solution as at least he replace it if it dies within 7 years. You can find cheaper set ups from FleaBay and SS Diesel and others ask if they have a 7 year free replacement part warranty. I travel through out the West and South Western US in very issolated areas. I feel pretty confident in the Heath Set up and know if it does die Bill will send me another ASAP to get me running.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Walt at SS is a great guy, and I have ordered from him in the past (not his PMD cooler though).

After speaking with with several other well known 6.5 vendors (some are members here), it just so happens that SS diesel is just one of the MANY companies playing the "I invented it" card in regards to the PMD isolators and coolers. One would think that after reading the SS diesel pitch (on the FSD Heat-Sync) that the guy was a rocket scientist, -however, those of us that are well-versed in the english language realize that if the guy can't even spell SINK correctly, -he's no rocket scientist. Maybe it truly is some sort of heat-synchronizer, but I kinda doubt it.

In regards to the mounting location, I have mine on the manifold, and the PMD has over 40k on it so far with nothing major going on. However, just in the last couple of weeks, it has developed a difficult hot-start situation (usually three attempts), and the intermittant fish-nibble miss seems to be getting worse, and I am beginning to wonder if my PMD is the culprit (OPS/LP checks good, all new filters, etc). One would certainly think that the further you could mount the PMD away from the engine compartment, the better. I am going to extend my harness and mount it somewhere on the front side of the core support where it can actually get some cool air, but it may already be too late for my existing PMD.

It's just my opinion, but I would do it right the first time and NOT mount it to the manifold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the advise. I have ordered the Heath diesel PMD isolator to remote mount the FSD outside the engine compartment. Are there any tricks to get the wiring connector out of the pump mounted driver?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I have ordered the Heath diesel PMD isolator to remote mount the FSD outside the engine compartment. Are there any tricks to get the wiring connector out of the pump mounted driver?
Heaths instructions are pretty good and you can call if in doubt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
get a good thick wire hanger a good light and some patiance and it will come. i have mine on the intake with an ss heat sync but i do think it would be better if it was remotly mounted i have a spare and if i have to use it i will be moving my mount to under the truck up in the frame.

ps i know alot of scientist and docs for that matter that cant spell worth a crap.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
So, big block dude - pull yer FSD, back the driver nuts off ( there's four of 'em), then re-tighten them to about 5"lbs, see if that cures the fishbites\hot starts.

Then move the FSD\cooler outta the engine bay, see how long the 'fix' lasts

Try it - you'll like it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So, big block dude - pull yer FSD, back the driver nuts off ( there's four of 'em), then re-tighten them to about 5"lbs, see if that cures the fishbites\hot starts.

Then move the FSD\cooler outta the engine bay, see how long the 'fix' lasts

Try it - you'll like it.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Do I need to use any heatsink compund? -or just do the retorque?

Also, is there anything wrong with extending my own harness? (problems with EMI/RFI)? I think Kennedy offers one that's something like 72" long, but that's the longest one I've seen (that is premade anyway). Are the extended harnesses shielded in any way?

I apologize for asking all these questions, but I just want to do it one time and not cause any more problems.

Thanks in advance, -and I apologize for semi-hijacking this thread! ;)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Do I need to use any heatsink compund? -or just do the retorque?

Also, is there anything wrong with extending my own harness? (problems with EMI/RFI)? I think Kennedy offers one that's something like 72" long, but that's the longest one I've seen (that is premade anyway). Are the extended harnesses shielded in any way?

I apologize for asking all these questions, but I just want to do it one time and not cause any more problems.

Heat sink compound under entire PMD? = yes

No sheilding necessary. Just do a good job with heat shrink tubing and make sure the wires are heavy enough. Solder is better than push together connectors also IMO.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Heat Sink Compound??

What is a heat sink compound and where do you get it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

There is a thin black pad under the PMD, it could be stuck to the pump, I reused mine, it is designed to wick the heat away from the PMD. I would use this v.s dielectric silicon as silicon can and does wash away.
My 2 cents

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Nicest thing to use would be some Indium foil, if you have access.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
That siliconized rubber-foil-rubber sandwich is highly heat conductive, and should be reused if present.

Problem with the paste compound is the conditions in the engine bay - hot, told, wet, dust, oil, grease, etc - all kinds of particles and debris wind up in that paste, so the heat pad is preferred.

Can pick up a new one at GM or any Stanadyne shop - maybe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the heath pmd, and got the mount system that mounts on the bottom of the skid plate, upper top. and he has a long wiring harness for that too. I did have a concern about it there since I got into the woods alot, but it is mounted high enough so it seems to be ok. plus bill h said he has never had problems with it..

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The locations in order of preferance for PMD placement:

#1 best - away from engine heat altogether
#2 okay - leave it on the pump (yes on the pump)
#3 worst - mount on a heat sink above intake manifold

1 - 16 of 16 Posts