Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the side of the pump, if you remove the FSD what is behind there? I heard their is just a black gasket type piece, if this is true what is behind that? It seems that if you relocate the FSD you should at lease put a cover plate or something over the factory location on the side of the pump? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
294 Posts
The FSD is mounted to the side of the pump just to use the pump body and the fuel flowing through it as a heatsink to draw the heat out of the FSD. Most members just abandon the FSD mounted on the pump and replace it with a new one when remote mounting. To get the old FSD off the pump you have to remove the intake manifold and injection lines and it's jsut not worth it.

If your FSD was working when you chose to remote mount a new one you will have a spare if the new one fails while you are on the road. Pick upi an old FSD cable, cut the end off and use it as a plug for the connector on the old FSD. I have had 2 remotely mounted FSDs fail. A spare is a nice thing to have.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have heard that running low on fuel in hot weather can make a difference in the cooling of the FSD.

Something to consider.

·
Registered
214 Posts
On a related note, what FSD remote mount do you all recommend, or do you make your own from scratch? Planning on doing this conversion on my truck soon. Details from those who've done it before would be appreciated.

·
Registered
584 Posts
FSD/PDM;

There are several coolers, heat sinks, you can find. Beta from Swedan makes one I used and their standard mount is on the intake manifold as are several knock offs you can find on E-bay. I did this and the heat sink needs to be mounted away from the engine in my opion. It appears the moduals mounted on the intake coolers last 20-50,000 miles. Many of the pump mounted moduals will go 60,000 to 120,000 miles my last one went about 100,000 miles. The Beta one on the intake went 24,000 miles. So I would and have mounted it in a remote location. To mount remote you need a cable extension. Keneddy Diesel makes one with a very good plug $90 whole kit cooler, FSD, and Extension $510. Bill Heath has a kit he calls a PMD Issolator it has modual mounted on large heat sink plate, extension whole kit $379, he mounts them behind skid plate on 4x4's. I have 2x4 so I mounted mine on frame crossmember under drivers seat. The reason I went with the Heath this go around was I got the whole kit for just a couple of bucks more than a new modual and extension. If i was going to buy a new PMD/FSD modual and not remote mount it I would have it replaced on the pump. I really don't think the brand makes a difference as long as you get it in a cool location.Edited by: 16gaSxS

·
Registered
199 Posts
Remote mounting an FSD cooler AND using a couple 12 volt cpu cooling fans make a HUGE difference..................and the fans are cheap too!!!!(about 12 bucks each)

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts