Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2001 Duramax plugged in this morning, as the temp was 2 above. Started her up, and let her idle for while while I was warming the wife's car. After about 10 minutes of idleing, the truck stopped running. Ahhh... I thought, the filter is iced up/gelled. Took my wife to work, dropped by the local GM dealer, bought a new filter, took it home and installed with my brother in law.

The old filter had a chunk of ice in the water sensor area about twice the size of a golf ball.

The problem I'm having now, is that I can't prime the new filter (pressed the primer pump with the bleed screw open about 300 times). I also can't get the stupid truck to anyplace warm (and its 8 degrees outside). What's the best way to fix this? I've read all of the posts, and the consensus seems to be to use Diesel 911 and run out all of the all of the old diesel and get new.
Does Diesel 911 actually work? Otherwise, I'm without a truck until it warms.

That will probably be March, the way its going.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Diesel 911 does work. Put it in your tank and pour some in your filter. I would add a little more than the recommended amount.

Where are you located? I'm in Grand Rapids and we're having a big discount on Diesel 911. We had a trucking company return about a 1/2 pallet because they cases were stained, but the product is fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Frozen Fuel Lines

I'm about 70 miles south. Although, I do have to go to GR tomorrow for work. Where are you located?

Also, how many pumps on the prime pump does it usually take to fill a filter?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would stay away from 911. From what I understand it has alcohol in it which is no good for you injection pump. Add some howes, power service, standyne treatment to you fuel and bring it in someplace to warm up. You could treat the tank and change the filter. Your lines probably aren't frozen up just your filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winter... I already replaced the filter, and now I've pumped the primer pump about 500 times. I also don't have a place to warm the silly thing up at because the truck is too long to fit in the garage.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Find a "salamander" (torpedo type) heater and point it under the truck. Drape some tarps or plastic sheeting down over the sides to hold in the heat and keep an eye on it. It'll thaw out in a couple of hours and you can add an extra dose of additive to the fuel and prime and start. When you get it running, purge the WIF drain a few times, waiting a few minutes in between purges. That should get most on the water out. Point the heater in the back and let the heat come out the partially open hood. That will warm the fuel in the tank faster. Good luck.

·
Registered
380 Posts
precision37;1573780; said:
Find a "salamander" (torpedo type) heater and point it under the truck. Drape some tarps or plastic sheeting down over the sides to hold in the heat and keep an eye on it. It'll thaw out in a couple of hours and you can add an extra dose of additive to the fuel and prime and start. When you get it running, purge the WIF drain a few times, waiting a few minutes in between purges. That should get most on the water out. Point the heater in the back and let the heat come out the partially open hood. That will warm the fuel in the tank faster. Good luck.
x2, just make sure you top off the tank first, that will cut down the amount of condensation forming inside the tank. i had a truck once that stuck out 3 feet beyond my garage door,and we did the same thing . lowered the door down onto the bed and then stapled a tarp to the bottom of the door and draped it all around the truck, and held it down around the truck with boards, put the torpedo heater on it and had it thawed out in no time . if ya can find some of those insulating tarps they put over concrete they work great. good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
what kind of fuel you guys burning over there,.....Im in ontario,its dam cold over here,and were not having those problems,....is you oil company switched over to winter fuel?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
PhilA;1574283; said:
what kind of fuel you guys burning over there,.....Im in ontario,its dam cold over here,and were not having those problems,....is you oil company switched over to winter fuel?

x2 in Manitoba.......cold, cold, cold. -37 last night. :eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Reddmax, we just got done doing a buddy of mine's 2001 Dmax. We had the same problem, probably pumped the primer close to 500 times. We turned the key to the on position, and we had pumped the primer and wala we had fuel. The bleeder was tightened and we primed the primer about 15 times more. Started the truck, no problems.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Power Service Diesel 911 does not have any harmful alcohol. It is the most recommended additive by more manufacturers. I personally add product to prevent it from happening in the first place.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you're still having problems or need a torpedo heater to get warmed up, I'm in Holland, working in Hamilton if that helps you any. For really cold, wouldn't it work out to mix up some kerosene w/ some 2 stroke oil in it and mix that in w/ the diesel? Talking like a 9:1 or so here (9 parts diesel:1 part kero) I don't plug mine in at night all the time (when I forget), I have a Cat filter, slosh a bit of kero/2stroke in the magic juice tank in the bed, and she's good so far... just a lil smokey off the bat when it's cold, but good to go. I've seen FPPF additive put in with winter blend diesel and still gel up in the filters on loaders and dozers. That sucks when you got a 50,000lb piece of equipment that only wants to idle and won't move in the middle of an open field.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
golfcartguy;1575003; said:
If you're still having problems or need a torpedo heater to get warmed up, I'm in Holland, working in Hamilton if that helps you any. For really cold, wouldn't it work out to mix up some kerosene w/ some 2 stroke oil in it and mix that in w/ the diesel? Talking like a 9:1 or so here (9 parts diesel:1 part kero) I don't plug mine in at night all the time (when I forget), I have a Cat filter, slosh a bit of kero/2stroke in the magic juice tank in the bed, and she's good so far... just a lil smokey off the bat when it's cold, but good to go. I've seen FPPF additive put in with winter blend diesel and still gel up in the filters on loaders and dozers. That sucks when you got a 50,000lb piece of equipment that only wants to idle and won't move in the middle of an open field.
Kero WILL help you start, but 2 stroke oil wont. Both 2stroke oil and regular motor oil will increase in viscosity with temperature drop; they'll only hurt your starting diffuculty.

The more kero you use, the more wear you put on your CP3 though, so its a balance...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Add the 911 at the rate, what the time recommended and you will be fine. It is always a good idea to keep a quart of 911 and spare filters in the truck. The last 10 days or so the high has hoovered around 0 and the low's as cold at -35. My truck lives outside, on the three coldest days I did not need to start my truck. Forgot to plug it in. the temp was -35 started right up ran rough about 1-2 minutes then she was fine. Always a good idea to have treated fuel for the coldest temp that way you are always covered. During the winter I always prep my fuel just in case that way I don't have to worry. The extra expense and time is well worth the woops I don't have time or incovenient factor.

·
Registered
371 Posts
like the man said build a tent of plastic over your truck, pack snow around the base of the plastic tent, then put a colman stove or whatever under the truck, within 2 hours all ice will have melted, even at -35f
been there done that.

drive safe

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ya just like every one said above. Get a heater and drape tarps all around. But i just tented the hood on my gfs car when it didnt start sunday, took about a half hour and she fired right up. but almost missed the beginning of the super bowl.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
precision37;1573780; said:
I'll vouch for this method. I have several old moving pads that I use to make sure no air gets out from under the truck. Don't put anything on whichever end you put the salamander or it'll get too hot. I've done it more than once. You just have to be patient. It may take 2-3 hours depending on how cold it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All fixed!!!

The bullet heater / tarp idea worked, with a good dollop of Diesel 911. I'd like th thank everyone for their input, and offers of help. Thanks to Big Allis for finding me the Diesel 911.

Stay warm....!!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Contains the type of non-harmful alcohols recommended by diesel engine manufacturers for removal of water in diesel fuel systems

From PS website

Does contain alcohol, If its harmeful or not is for you to decide.

Most want to seperate the water out to avoid it from getting to the injection pump. 911 disolves the water and passes it through.

But what do I know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Everyone's ideas and comments are greatly appreciated, but this is still b/s that you can't buy a fuel that is ready to use. There are places farther north colder than us and I wonder how much trouble they are having? My 03 2500 quit twice this week 1 without and 1 with treated fuel. We're already getting ripped off on the price of fuel now I have to spend more to make it right for cold weather.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts