Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck failed to start yesterday (i left a 2500w inverter on overnight, and I guess the low battery disconnect failed). Long story short, I ended up having to call a tow truck to have it jumped (campus safety's chevy Impala's couldnt even get the glow plug light to go off). It started up, but the battery replacement guy said the batteries were both "frozen" and reccomended replacement; they're both the stocker 770CCA batteries, and both were putting out <50A~.

I know permanent damage can be done to a lead-acid battery when they're frozen (warped plates), but I'd assume they freeze all the time, especially in a climate like this (its currently <10*F out).

Time for replacement? 101,000mi on original '04 delcos.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
A fully charged battery will not freeze under normal conditions. A dead battery will freeze easily. I wouldn't trust those batteries even if you do get them to take a charge. I would start shopping for new batteries.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boondokr;1556432; said:
A fully charged battery will not freeze under normal conditions. A dead battery will freeze easily.....
I knew this was true of deep cylce batteries, not of regular automotive ones though. Hm.

·
Registered
684 Posts
any dead battery will freaze. charged batterys wont. its that easy.

time for new batterys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.