Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my front winter OEM covers while it was reasonably warm (45 deg). I do not intend to leave them on, I was just trying them. I have to say that I can't imagine trying to install these things when its below 32 F. Are they really necessary? The grill cover installs much easier than the bumper cover. Can you run with just the grill cover? These things are not user friendly.

2004 Silverado D/A

Maine

·
Registered
97 Posts
I took one look at my OEM cover last fall and went to a local shop and picked up a Lund cold front. This alone (no bumper cover) appears to have worked fine for me last winter and it was colder than it's been for a number of years I think. I recall my outside temp reading colder than -30C on a number of early mornings. Never had any problems starting or running and I would be on the highway very shortly after starting up (running at low rev's, mind you till it was warm).

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I use both cold fronts. The bumper cover, which is harder to install, stays on all winter. It covers the two air scoops on my 2002 Chev., which directs air straight into engine compartment. Keep an eye for salt buildup under this one.

The grill cover, which installs much easier, I removed if temperatures go above 40 Deg F. Also, if I plan to tow a heavy load in winter, I'll watch tranny temp, and coolant temp closely and remove grill cover if necessary. The tranny cooler is completely covered with the grill cover installed. Performance may suffer with grill cover installed, due to the intercooler getting minimal air flow.

If I want a little more air flow when using the grill cover, I will only attach cover using the bottem clips, and the top snaps only. I can then fold under both ends of grill cover, which opens each end of grill a couple of inches, for a little air flow.

To make installation of either cover easier when cold, warm fronts in house a couple of hours, and they'll streich much easier when installing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just run the grill cover only and it seems to be enough for temps down to 0 degrees any way. I have run my grill cover up to 55 degrees and I have not noticed where the motor or tranny run any hotter. However I would not run any covers if I were towing. Just my .02

·
Registered
861 Posts
i have left my grill cover one when it has hit 80 and i saw no diference. for some reason we got a 80 degree day then back to 40. go figure

·
Registered
54 Posts
Front Bumper Cover? Is that something my 3500 would use? I run cold weather but never saw a bumper cover. I just use the grill cover.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My front cover works great. Today was really the first day I used it and I had to turn the heat down on the way to work untill I put the front on I could still see my breath when I got to work. I use both grill and bumper

·
Registered
54 Posts
So the bumper cover covers those two holes that look like scoops that are right next to the licence plate?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those two little scoop openings on the bumper dont feed the air intake do they?
If they don't I am thinking of making some plugs out of foam with a lip so they stay in place. Then cover the foam with the handymans favorite tool... <font color="red">Duct Tape.</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts