Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the front wheel speed sensors, greased the hubs with NGL2 grease, and now both sensors do not read until after ~80km and then stop reading ~50km. One stops reading before the other and causes the ABS to drop pressure to that wheel and creates a dangerous stopping condition.

I replaced the sensors because one was giving some erratic readings at low speeds when cold and potentially causing the strange downshift from 2-1 I have been experiencing. The hubs are MOOG and were replaced about 2 years/20k miles ago. They came with sensors and I figured they were not made as well as the factory ones, so I decided to change both of them so I wouldn't be dealing with this issue on the other wheel.

I have a Tech2 and have been using it to check the wheel speed. I would normally put the old sensors back in and see what happens, but I needed to leave it together so I can get to an MRI for my knee in the morning. I have just disconnected the sensors to keep the ABS from engaging. I also want to try and only take this thing apart one more time, my knee would surely appreciate it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You have to disconnect one of them and go down the road and see if the both of them do it or only one of them does it. My truck did something similar when I first bought it and I put wheel bearings on it (Timken) and it never did it agaiin

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to disconnect one of them and go down the road and see if the both of them do it or only one of them does it. My truck did something similar when I first bought it and I put wheel bearings on it (Timken) and it never did it agaiin
Both of them are not reading correctly, I can see the values on the Tech2.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I would say install original sensors and see if they read correctly. Downshift issue would not be caused by front sensors but more likely speed sensor in trans/transfer case. Front sensors are not all the same length.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say install original sensors and see if they read correctly. Downshift issue would not be caused by front sensors but more likely speed sensor in trans/transfer case. Front sensors are not all the same length.
Yup, the old ones are back in and read fine. The new ones were the same length, but the pickup bar on the factory ones were half the size. I don't know which one came from what wheel to see if the faulty intermittent one will come back, but we shall see in time.

Long story short, I won't be buying Moog parts anymore, when a factory part is no longer interchangeable I have an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't understand why you would change them out from the MOOG ones. MOOG is top of the line parts, im sure the sensors are just as good. plus they are brand new. My .02

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand why you would change them out from the MOOG ones. MOOG is top of the line parts, im sure the sensors are just as good. plus they are brand new. My .02
If you read the first post, one was giving me erratic readings at low speeds for the first few minutes of the drive in the morning. I decided to replace both and not just the failing one to avoid doing the other one in another few months. Its not much more time once the tools are out to change both vs just changing the one.

I have always been happy with Moog parts, but this is a serious issues for me. My solution to the problem, if it returns, is what, buy another whole hub assembly because of a failing speed sensor, not ok.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
And you scraped the mounting surface down to bare metal and made sure the sensors sit completely flat on the surface?

Reactions: IGO1320 and SAYWHAT

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And you scraped the mounting surface down to bare metal and made sure the sensors sit completely flat on the surface?
Yup...I'm just starting to think it has to do with the pickup size difference you can see in the pictures and ultimately an incompatibility between the Moog sensors and the AC Delco ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the front wheel speed sensors, greased the hubs with NGL2 grease, and now both sensors do not read until after ~80km and then stop reading ~50km. One stops reading before the other and causes the ABS to drop pressure to that wheel and creates a dangerous stopping condition.

I replaced the sensors because one was giving some erratic readings at low speeds when cold and potentially causing the strange downshift from 2-1 I have been experiencing. The hubs are MOOG and were replaced about 2 years/20k miles ago. They came with sensors and I figured they were not made as well as the factory ones, so I decided to change both of them so I wouldn't be dealing with this issue on the other wheel.

I have a Tech2 and have been using it to check the wheel speed. I would normally put the old sensors back in and see what happens, but I needed to leave it together so I can get to an MRI for my knee in the morning. I have just disconnected the sensors to keep the ABS from engaging. I also want to try and only take this thing apart one more time, my knee would surely appreciate it.
I am dealing with the same exact problem on my 2006 LBZ. About 5 mph or less when coming to a stop it slams into 1st and brake pedal push back is extreme. No codes. I have ordered to new front hubs with sensors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts