Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody run across skid plates for 2004 differentials? Looking at the one from my '97 gasser, I'm going to need them unless I change my ways, which I am unlikely to do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
i saw a rear diff skid plate in Truckin magazine yesterday. Dunno who makes it but I will probably end up fabricating my own version of it. It looked like it protected the U joint as well as the majority of the differential.. Might be something to look into.

The wife just told me it's the june 2004 issue of 4 wheel drive and sport utility magazine, not truckin, and the company is nth degree mobility. Looks like a good idea/design. Apparently they only make them for dana 35 and 44's.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoolin -

Small world. It turns out that nth degree is about a mile from my house. Their focus is J***s but they expect to start making for the Danas in May or June. They invited me to bring my rig over then and see if we could make something work. I wil post if something develops.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link. I will check with them in the AM to see if they have one that fits our diffs. Their design would take care of the cover getting peeled off in sliding off a rock. I am also concerned about the leading edge and the drain plug. If I have to I'll start with a Poison Spider design and fab from there. Easier than starting from scratch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those that take pleasure in knowing these things - I found out today from GM that the rear diff in my rig is an "American Axle 11 1/2 inch", not a 14 bolt Corporate (though it has 14 bolts).

I am giving up and going to fab.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is a guy on Pirate4x4.com that makes rings. Really nice from what I've seen, CNC laser cut if I recall correctly. Check the vendor forum for more info.

And yeah, it's a new(ish) axle by AM General with 11.5" ring gear. Somewhat stronger than a 10.5" C14FF, but IIRC, it lacks the 3rd pinion bearing. Edited by: BadDog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts