Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy with an 03 Suburban with 130,000 mi. He has complained about the lack of emergency stopping power ever since he bought it new. Dealer has provided no solutions. He just had it in for service and they told him that he needs new rear pads. The front pads are still original and do not yet need replacing. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
148 Posts
my truck has 85k and pads are maybe half worn

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Don't know for sure but I'd guess the brake balance valve has been defective since new, or at least a long time, and the front to rear brake bias is off. I think I'd try a new valve.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
no, nothing is "wrong" with that Suburban so to speak. The half ton brakes just stink in general. My dad's '03 Tahoe has had no ABS for a while (broken EBCM) and even with no ABS, the brakes are so bad you cant even lock them up on dry pavement.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I'm lookin at a set of drilled and slotted here maybe this summer.
The SSBC's? Ill have to check them out when you get them. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's funny how the rear pads went before the front pads...

·
Registered
295 Posts
smoke shows maybe?:D

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's funny how the rear pads went before the front pads...
Blame it on the fancy named "Dynamic Rear Proportioning" system. It has a lot more bias to the rear brakes. Couple that with thinner rotors and single piston calipers, and it's easy to see how the fronts outlast the rears. Even after putting new ceramic pads and rotors on my old truck in November, the brakes felt like crap. It was amazing when I got in the new truck on Saturday to feel how much better the brakes are even with an extra 2000 or so pounds of curb weight.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
And possibly more dirt and road stuff get on the rears than the fronts...

·
Registered
326 Posts
FWIW, I had (still have) a 95 GMC 1500 4X4, and by the time I had 130,000 miles I think I had gone through *at least* 2 sets of front pads. I have 235,000 on it now and have only changed the rears once. I just changed rotors at around 210,000, and I'm thinking they might be getting ready to be changed again, so that sucks.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I think there's something wrong... My dad and I both had 2000 1/2 tons and they went through a couple sets of pads while we had them. Granted we go through a lot of mud, but still, they wore pretty fast. The fronts I replaced twice as often as the back because they are supposed to do the majority of the braking. That's part of why when you stand on the brake the nose dives rather than the truck remaining level... I think the proportioning valve is messed up and not working the front brakes.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My 3500 cab & chassis has 90,000 miles on it and weighing in at 11,500lbs most of its life. I still have the original front pads on. I just had the tires rotated and they said there is at least 40% still left on them. The backs have had the pads replaced twice. First set lasted 42,000 miles second set lasted only 16,000(dont' know why these only lasted this) and the third have 32,000(with 35% ) still left. I have alot of weight over the back axle for theses to wear more. I think the pads and discs work great and have very little dust either. The parking brake system, however is another story.-:t
Greg

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a 99 silverado half ton would go 50K on the backs and 100 on the fronts. I was always hard on the brakes also. If he doesn't abuse the brakes, I think the ceramic pads and good factory rotors would make it that many miles just fine.
:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I traded an 01 lb7 with 245K on it in Jan and it had the original pads on it with some life left in them. Would probably have gone another 50K. All my driving is highway.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
This is encouraging. My S-10 would go through factory pads every 15-20K miles, My G20 Van every 30K or so. So far with 30K on my duramax, pads look almost new. Looks like GM finally got pads to give good braking AND good life.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brake wear is not a mileage related issue. It has to do with the number of stops you make, the severity of those stops and the composition of those pads.

·
Registered
153 Posts
101k on all mine, I here that if you pull/tow alot, the rears go first
:confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have 90k on my truck and original pads on front (with about 60% left to go) and I changed the backs at 84k. I also do alot of heavy towing.:confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts