Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I was the only one to have this problem?

This is regarding installing a front license plate on the 2500 silverado. The bumper comes with the plastic inserts in the bumper at the correct spacing for a plate but because the plastic below it protrudes out approx. 3/8" more the tag sits at a bad angle. Also, the bumber angles back from the center and this would tend to bend the tag to conform. The plastic above the chrome bumper also sticks out and puts a funny angle on the tag. I have tried to get some info from chevrolet about a front license plate bracket kit and they say that they do not make one for it. I also went down to the dealer to make sure it wasn't just my truck and the 20 they had were the same. I did send Chevrolet an E-mail stating that I thought it was a shame that a truck that stickers for $47,000 does not come with a bracket for this, nor is one offered that you can buy and it looks real tacky at that dramatic angle.

Does anyone maybe know of an aftermarket one being produced?

·
Registered
233 Posts
My '03 GMC had the same setup. The license plate was bent and it was at a weird angle. When I got my '04, there was a plastic license plate bracket on the front that made the license plate fit nice and straight. The bracket is probably available from a GMC dealership and there is a chance it will work on your Silverado.
Edited by: Dura_Mike

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would also check on the bracket. My '03 came with one. Its kind of a flimsy setup, but it does work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My '04 is the same way. The '02 was fine. Starting to find things that GM cheapend up on and I'm not really please about it.

Mike

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine came with a license plate bracket. Black plastic. Attaches with two license plate screws mounted about 3" apart on the front bumper (metal part).

I took it off temporarily as I don't want to advertise for the dealer. When I get a front plate I like, I'll re-attach it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 04 Chevy has the proper bracket to mount the plate flat. Wanna buy it?

J/K, I'll keep it around in case I get a "no front plate" ticket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be possible for one of you to take a digital picture of the plate from an 04?

I'll check with GMC but chevrolet does not offer it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is for a GMC....Like you cant tell!

Rain rain go away....

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
It is very common for the dealer to forget to include the front plate mounting bracket. And ashtray. And valve stem caps. And cigar lighter. Etc. You should be able to get it free of charge from the dealer.

I'm very surprised that they would tell you that there is not a bracket available. It is illegal in many states to operate without one.

Edited by: McRat

·
Registered
713 Posts
Part number?????

·
Registered
534 Posts
My damned dealer just screwed the plate to the bumper, bent and points up.

So is there a part number floating around for the bracket???

THX!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lawnboy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to take the photo's, very very kind of you. But by looking at the picture your screwholes in the bumber appear to be about 3 inches apart. The holes in my bumper are spaced apart normal. Although I am still going to check with GMC.

McRat,

Yes somtimes you are right but in this case there is not one according to 6 different dealers and Chevrolet themselves. I sent them 3 e-mails about it.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a couple of pic's although they are at night. I haven't painted the boltheads yet & I also want to paint the white inserts. I have installed it with these rubber coated screw nuts that came off of a Briggs & Stratton air cleaner. It works for now but it makes it hard to clean behind.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Nightstalker,

What is your definition of Normal Spacing Please? Measurements please?

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't know what to tell everyone.

With all the model year differences times two (GMC/Chevy), theres no way to know what will fit what.

I say: Go to your dealer and ask at the parts counter to look up the PN for your specific year. Mine does NOT look to have any normal GM partnumber on it.

If you live in a state that REQUIRES a front plate, then your entitled to a plate bracket for free.

I don't know if mine is an actual GM part or a cheap aftermarket so that the dealer can put their plate on and advertise?

Here is a closeup of the back with numbers:

Here is what it says:

MADE IN CANADA, PPD, 15199886, SAE >TEO<, CAV, 2, P0522

Then the number dial stuff.
And under the 3 number dials:

WIP 15199888

The white sticker has the following on it:

Thats all!

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Silveradogs,

What I mean by normal spacing is that the plastic inserts in the bumper line up with the holes or slots on a tag or vanity plate.

See my second pic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lawnboy said:
I don't know what to tell everyone.

With all the model year differences times two (GMC/Chevy), theres no way to know what will fit what.

I say: Go to your dealer and ask at the parts counter to look up the PN for your specific year. Mine does NOT look to have any normal GM partnumber on it.

If you live in a state that REQUIRES a front plate, then your entitled to a plate bracket for free.

I don't know if mine is an actual GM part or a cheap aftermarket so that the dealer can put their plate on and advertise?

Here is a closeup of the back with numbers:

Here is what it says:

MADE IN CANADA, PPD, 15199886, SAE >TEO<, CAV, 2, P0522

Then the number dial stuff.
And under the 3 number dials:

WIP 15199888

The white sticker has the following on it:

Thats all!

Hope this helps someone.

Another Canadian part? I'm beginning to think that GMC really does stand for General Motors Canada...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just move to Florida. Then you don't need a front license plate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lawnboy,

I just got off of the phone with GMC and they do offer your plate holder for the 03 & 04 GMC truck but it wont fit Chevrolet because of the bolt hole spacing difference.

I don't know other than to wait & see if someone comes out with an aftermarket one.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
NightStalker said:
I don't know other than to wait & see if someone comes out with an aftermarket one.

Doesn't Chevy offer one?

Or am I missing something?

There are quite a few states that don't require a front plate.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts