Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to Missouri, from Michigan, and now am required to mount a plate to the front of my truck. :thumbsdow
For now I just bolted it to the factory mount points, but because of the shape of the bumper, it bends the plate pretty bad, and makes it stick out. In my opinion it makes the truck look like it has buck teeth.
Has anyone come up with a good idea on how to mount a front plate that looks good and gets the job done?
Thanks..

·
Registered
448 Posts
thru bolt it to a frame (I use a lensed frame) on the botton with washers/nuts and with say 2" 3/8 S/S bolts on the bottom with plasti/rubber tips over the end of bolts this will act as your "stand-off" on the bottom from the air dam and keep the plate almost straight up and down. Use the same bolts with a say 1/2 to 3/4 long piece of rubber fuel line over the top bolts and screw them right into the plastic inserts in the bumper. Tighten to crush the fuel line down. The "stand-offs" may not touch the air dam at rest, but they will at speed. The whole works is completely "stood-off" with 3/8" behind, doesn't touch the bumper at all.

This method is the bomb. If it wasn't such a PITA I'd post pics. Devised this method two HD's ago. works great! and is c l e a n. I use all S/S including small flat washers under the bolt heads in the "inset" of the lens.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i just bought a chrome license plate frame from oreillys and bolted it up works great and is thousand times nicer and sturdier than the bracket holder that you can order from GM. I paid about 15.00 for the GM one and wound up trowing it away

·
Registered
123 Posts
I made two 1"X1"X3/4" blocks out of black plastic (HDPE) drilled holes for screws (stainless) and screwed into inserts. The plastic blocks act as stand offs and keep the plate from bending and not following the bumper curve. This was easy and looks clean.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just mounted the plate in a chrome frame then bent the plate and frame together to follow the contour of the bumper......works for me and I think that it looks good.:cool:

·
Registered
448 Posts
they are 1/4" bolts my bad above

and if you want to do it right here's pics.

the back of the plate does just touch in the very center the peak of the airdam

bent plates and frames are soooo custom. :rolleyes:

for about $10 you can duplicate this. Frame (black or chrome) lens, and S/S hardware. I had some foam weatherstrip and the little pieces of fuel line laying around with another 20 years worth of little "stuff" that might come in handy one day. :p:

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't put one on any of my vehicles, enough people from kansas and they don't notice!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also seal the lens and plate with self adhesive 3/8" foam weatherstrip around the perimeter of the lense where the plate sits against it. Keeps dirt and water out when sqeezed together with my bolting method. Been using this method with my custom plates for years. The foam gets beat and starts to leak in water after a couple years and needs to be resealed. It's usually time for a new lens by then anyway.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas guys.
I appreciate the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts