Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Truck is currently in the shop and I have a concern over a groaning sort of noise coming from the front end in 4WD at about 50mph or so. This happened when the roads were anything but dry and I do not make a habit of running in 4WD at higher speeds. I remember seeing posts here a while back that seemed similar in nature, but I cannot find them now.

Problem is this. The dealer is claiming all is well and I disagree. I believe someone mentioned something being over torqued and causing similar problems? My knowledge of the front end is very limited and I am not in a good position to make any claims as to what the problem may be. I was wondering if anyone has any insight to problems of this nature or is anyone could provide some clarification as to what could be over torqued and what this would cause.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Mine does it too. I saw a post that said it was a problem but cant find it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the same thing happening on my truck. It sounds kind of like "Tire Howl" to me. But it only happens when I shift into 4wd and go over 50 mph. When I shift out of 4wd it is gone.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
It also goes away when you take the load off(back off the throttle).

Not real happy with this problem.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My tech told me it was over torque on the pinion nut on my 01. It was close to 37k miles at the time. They ended up replacing all internals in the front diff, all bearings and seals and the pump in the T-case. He said it was not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
NoWake200 said:
It also goes away when you take the load off(back off the throttle).

Not real happy with this problem.

Yep That is exactly what it does! If you find a cure please let me know.

·
Registered
706 Posts
This is very common

Mine has done it for the last 40K or so. Actually it seems to be getting slightly worse. I am out of warranty so I will drive it til it pukes. I have a fairly noticable vibration when I hear the noise, like a foot massage. Some times are worse than others but it is definitly a 4 wheel drive problem when the drivetrain is under a load.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine has a simulare sound but I think it comes form the trans. Mine has nothing to do with 4x4. It only happens around 50-60mph when the tc is locked. The speed my be lower or higher for some due to the tire size. Sounds like the trans is being lugged?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here is my take on this.....

The front driveshaft is DIRECTLY under your feet!

The front differential is solidly mounted to the frame (not sprung) thus transferring ALL vibrations to frame for you to hear/feel very easily.

The front differential gears are probably NOT made with the close tolerances that the rear end gears are.

Plus they're NOT used nearly as often, and probably take a LOT longer to break in.

This is just my opinion on this, as I never even had my new truck in 4x4 yet! Matter of fact, haven't driven it in the rain yet!

But I have driven extensive miles in trucks while 4x4 IS engaged, and EVERY SINGLE ONE, makes a lot of noise under there.

Remember, front and rear tire rolling diameter can never really be "exact", and you'll ALWAYS have some sort of gear bind, even in reduced traction conditions.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i was the one who posted and yes we see many front diff assy,replacements the noise comes from the front carrier bearings being over tightned...see it time and time again.you can tear it down and rebuild it but i r/r them.setting up front diff is not my cup of tea sure i can do it but at what cost.when there under warranty i but a new unit in...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Lawnboy said:
Here is my take on this.....

But I have driven extensive miles in trucks while 4x4 IS engaged, and EVERY SINGLE ONE, makes a lot of noise under there.

My last two Fords('99 and '01) made zero noise in 4 wheel drive. My Friends '04 Dodge six wheeler make zero noise in 6 wheel drive.

note: all three trucks listed above is or were diesels.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My Dads Chevrolet 01 2500 Hd Makes no noise. Neither does my friends GMC 03 2500 HD Both are 6.0 gas motors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts