Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone install a front hitch and if so, how much can the hitch and truck safely handle? I am looking at installing a hidden hitch or a total bumper replacement with a hitch in the grill guard and I want to be able to put a motorcycle rack and a small scooter or dirt bike on the front. I am worried about too much weight on the front of the truck. I will also be towing our fifth wheel that weighs about 15000 lbs behind the truck. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Putnam makes a front receiver that bolts on the tow hook location. Looks pretty stout. As far as weight, I hang a 7.5' Fisher MM2 plow on the same location...800 lbs. Six turns on torsion bars and 500 lbs. of ballast, doesn't sag much at all and doesn't bounce or ride hard. Your pin weight will act as your ballast (and then some) so anything 500lbs or less for extended over the road trips seems doable.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Hidden Hitch.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
GM does not recomend putting a plow on the crew cabs due to extra weight. Some here have not had any issues with it for a few year running now.
But, if it was me I would not put that kind of weight on the front end, towing that kind of weight, with a possible block in vision due to that kind of cargo.
The roads (frost heaves, pot holes) will take its tole on your suspension and tires also.

·
Registered
448 Posts
GM does not recomend putting a plow on the crew cabs due to extra weight.

:bow:

thanks for the tip. :rolleyes:

more specifically the diesel CC because of the wieght. The gas trucks you can get plow prep on. (The RPO is VYU BTW)

the reason they don't on the DMax CC, is that theoretically with all six seating positions filled with 200 lb'ers (in a diesel CC), the amount of that cab weight carried forward over the front axle, and a plow...would put you well over front axle capacity.

Now remember...that % of weight and where it's carried changes with ballast (read: weight over the rear axle as a proportion of total load).

Eight new GM IFS trucks in the last 16 years, and have plowed (Fisher) with everyone of them. I'm well versed in truck setup in regards to front axle capacity, and the effect of ballast. ;)

If you want to hang a 3-400 lb (but no more) scooter out there on a rack...I wouldn't worry about it at all in terms of wieght...

The handlebars prolly won't stand above the hoodline.

Scattering or deflection of grill air stream/intake would be my biggest concern.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would be more concerned about blocking airflow to the front of the truck as opposed to weight.

·
Registered
362 Posts
GM does not recomend putting a plow on the crew cabs due to extra weight.
HD truck.....yet not recommended for HD work....interesting concept!:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts