Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just got back from the dealer. Truck has 4500 miles. New Steering Box put in at 500 miles due to loose feeling in front end. Truck always felt very loose in the front especially left handed slow turns.
The newly designed ISS was put on and it did tighten the front end up quite a bit but now there is a different clunk coming up thru the steering column while turning.
Shop foreman says yesterday it was a pitman arm but after I got under there today at home and put it on jack stands I took it back to them right away and had them put it on a lift to show them.
If you grab under the pitman and shake the front end you can see the bottom of the gear box shaft moving. Then, if you grab the steering shaft at the top, where it goes into the gear box and twist it back and forth while the wheels are turned all the way to the left I can hear a knocking, much like the one I hear transmitting up thru the column.
I told them when they replaced the original box that the new one didn't feel nearly as tight but attributed it to being "new". Now they tell me these boxes are remanufactured and outsourced and that the replacement may never be as good as the original...
I totally think the original issue was the shaft and they shouldn't have replaced the the box. But now with the new improved shaft it is amplifying the issue with the defective 2nd box.
Can anyone tell me if you push hard on the pitman arm is it normal to have;
Some play right there in the ball but more play on the actual shaft that the arm bolts to on the box. I assume this it not right...?
Plus when you turn the wheels all the way to the left and twist the ISS you can hear and feel a knocking in the box but when the wheels are straight and you twist the shaft back and forth there is no knocking.
Yet another appointment at the dealer on Tuesday to do yet another steering box and possibly a pitman arm. If anyone has any input I'd really like to hear because this is getting really old fast and I've wasted sooo much time and money in fuel going back and forth to the dealer...:mad:

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I had my steering box replaced because of a leak at the input shaft. The "new" reman box they put on had about 3"of slop on either side of center before the truck would start to turn. I adjusted the box myself because I was fed up with the dealer at that point.

Excessive movement of the ptiiman arm indicates that either the pinion and sector are worn or the box is out of adjustment. I'm sure there's supposed to be some play there, but not to the point where the pittman arm will move 1" before the input shaft moves when you grab the wheels with the front end off the ground.

Before you take it back to the dealer, try this:
Using a 5/8" wrench, loosen the lock nut on top of the steering box. Take a 3/16" allen wrench and tighten the allen screw in the center of the locknut 1/4 turn. Tighten the locknut and test drive. Repeat this in 1/4 turn increments until all the slack is gone from the steering. You won't damage anything by doing this, if you over tighten it the wheel won't self center after going around a corner. Back it off a touch and you're good. It put mine back to the feeling it had when it was new. Good luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
saratoga;1595809; said:
I had my steering box replaced because of a leak at the input shaft. The "new" reman box they put on had about 3"of slop on either side of center before the truck would start to turn. I adjusted the box myself because I was fed up with the dealer at that point.

Excessive movement of the ptiiman arm indicates that either the pinion and sector are worn or the box is out of adjustment. I'm sure there's supposed to be some play there, but not to the point where the pittman arm will move 1" before the input shaft moves when you grab the wheels with the front end off the ground.

Before you take it back to the dealer, try this:
Using a 5/8" wrench, loosen the lock nut on top of the steering box. Take a 3/16" allen wrench and tighten the allen screw in the center of the locknut 1/4 turn. Tighten the locknut and test drive. Repeat this in 1/4 turn increments until all the slack is gone from the steering. You won't damage anything by doing this, if you over tighten it the wheel won't self center after going around a corner. Back it off a touch and you're good. It put mine back to the feeling it had when it was new. Good luck & keep us posted.
Yeah, I wish that was it but the centering adjustment is right on. Just the right amount of play in the wheel but the play I see is in the shaft that comes out of the box on the bottom where the pitman arm attaches. It moves side to side. You can actually see the pitman arm move up and down when you push up on it. It only moves about 1/32 but I don't know if that's an acceptable amount or not and the shop foreman had no clue. I'm wondering now if the clunk I'm hearing is the lower steering column bearing. I have no idea where to find it or I'd look at it and try to figure it out. The dealer is basically a parts changer, nothing more. It doesn't seem likely that I'd have 3 steering boxes bad in 4 months. It's not something I can live with. It's very annoying and honestly sounds like something is going to fall out from the truck while cornering. Believe it or not it's much better since the new ISS but in a way it's worse, basically the multiple loose feelings went away but now I have one big single loose feeling while cornering over bumps, especially left...:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts