Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 crew cab 4x4 w/ 26K miles on it and have noticed recently that the left front side seems to be lower to the ground than the right. I measured from the frame rail to the ground on level ground (as close to the front as possible) and sure enough the left side is a whole inch closer to the ground than the right and it's visibly obvious. I am wondering if have a bad torsion bar on the left side and/or I simply need to crank it a little. The truck is a stock truck, and I have never messed with the torsion bars (yet). Has anyone else had a similar problem or am I imagining things? I hate to take it to the dealer unless I have to. BTW - I am about 220# so I don't think it's the weight of the driver causing this but who knows...

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Helms manual describes adjustment of the torsion bars. They have a measurement I believe called Z-Drop. This is measured from the bottom A arm pivot bolt to the lowest point of the A arm using two lines horizontal to the ground and measuring the distance between the lines. If I remember (I'm at work now) the measurement should be 4.5" (+/- 0.5"). Each full turn of the torsion bar adjustment bolt will change the height by 0.2".

Steve

·
Registered
306 Posts
Tim,

This may be caused due to a couple of things. I have seen this on Chevy's before. There is a substantially higher amount of weight on the left side of the vehicle, especially in a 4x4. The gas tank and transfer case are all left of center on the truck. Depending on the size of the gas tank, this can be upwards of 300 more pounds on the left + your weight. You are probably at that point where the torsion bars are breaking-in a bit (as well as the shocks), so the added weight on that side of the vehicle is casuing a slight drop. I don't think there would be a problem adjusting that one side of the truck, it will probably ride a little better. Does the suspension feel a bit more "mushy" in the front compared to when you first bought the truck?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it does appear the whole front-end is starting to droop a little which is interesting because I don't have a bull guard on the front and I have the standard 26gl dinky fuel tank. I also run 70# air in the front tires to compensate for the extra weight in the front. This puts the tires into the correct manufacturers operating range to eliminate potential blowouts. There is a definite difference from right to left of about 1", which is a lot.

I was thinking all I needed to do was crank the torsion bars. Just last week I finally got my Helm manual(s) stack so I can read about how to do it I guess.

I have owned Chevy/GMC's for years but have never seen this problem appear so fast. We have a '98 gasser 4x4 with a bull guard on the front which has no droop (yet) and is even from left to right.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
276 Posts
luvthesmellofdiesel,

I had the same exact problem on my 2002.

When I took it to the dealer to complain, they immediately knew how to fix it. I later talked with the service manager, and he said that it was a fairly common problem on 4x4's, and they have "fixed" quite a few.

I think all they do is just crank up the torsion bar on the left side of the truck.

cadman_ks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to add to everyone elses comments.

I have an '01 ex-cab duramax and mine was off by at least an inch. I looked at the adjustment screws on the torsion bars and one was screwed in farther than the other side.

I jacked up the truck to take the weight off the front end, and tightened up the low side. This was several thousand miles ago and no problems. I did notice a stiffer ride.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ah! I too am feeling the truck to be a bit "mushy" now that I have 25,000 miles on 'er.

I'll be adjusting the screws anyway when I get my 255's. My poor ole Firestones put up a good fight, but they're gasping their last...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts