Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 HD2500 CC 4x4 Dmax with 285/75/16's and I have tightened up the torsion bars enough to get about an inch of front lift. The truck doesn't sit level but it is about half way between there and stock. The truck was aligned immediately after the torsion bar adjustment. I replaced the oem shocks early on with Bilsteins.

Here is the issue- at 49k miles my left front hub went south. The bearing went out and there was tiny silver bearing shavings all over the inside of the assembly when the dealer replaced it. At 53k miles the right front failed. Then I developed a clunk noise and at 55k the dealer replaced the pittman arm and idler arm and the dealer showed me the parts, they were noticeably loose and worn.

The dealer is pointing at my "oversize" tires as the cause.

Is anyone else having these wear issues?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I get the clunk now at 19k with h2 tires. I wondered what it was. Heavy Duty my a**

·
Registered
296 Posts
The clunk is it while you are driving and @ 55-65MPH B/c I have that as well

·
Registered
362 Posts
With a "HD" that is supposed to have the beefier susp components I don't see how the 285's are causing a problem. Especially if you just use it as a daily driver. If you abuse it then maybe. I've been running the 285's for a year and 13K and I hope I don't see the problems you are having. Let us know if you get it pinpointed!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No abuse, almost 57k mostly highway miles. The clunk is at low speeds like moving in and out of parking spaces or up and down my driveway.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
replaced all at 60k(pittman an tierods) ...........where you been trace .......hows the redhead

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sdaver

Hola mi amigo, que pasa? The 5' redhead is prettier than ever and just as mean. Long time no talk. So you had similar front end problems too eh?

Is this from tires? The wheel offset? WTF?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
TraceF- long time no see man!

My truck clunks, although its worse when i'm going over bumps at an angle. i think its my leafs, but i'm starting to wonder if part of the noise is from the front end.. 38k miles.. waiting for a laundry list before i take it in....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again DP- slow bumps and turns at an angle and I still get some clunk. It seems like they got part of the problem but not all. When you say the leafs, I know you mean the rear... my clunk seems like it is under the front. Maybe I need the tie rod ends too like mackin. I'm stumped.

I bought this truck thinking I could run it a few hundred thousand trouble free miles and I am real dissapointed to find out that I am going to be doing $1500 worth of front end work every 50-60k miles.

Is there a "for sale" forum?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Hey ........... I don't need no stinkin tierods ....

Has anyone considered steering box "Clunk" ..... There is ample info on this problem out there ...

Waaaaaz up T ....

Mac

·
Registered
156 Posts
I get a clunk every now and then too under the same conditions descibed above. I've read about the steering box clunk but I cannot determine if this is it. I'll be going to the dealer at some point in the near future to get this looked into. I'm running stock tires.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think the oversized tires CAUSE accelerated front end wear, but if I hadn't put the H2's on mine, I might not have found out how bad the parts were already worn.

Apparently I had gotten used to hearding the truck down the road for 71,000 miles and didn't realize the inner tie rods had developed a half inch of slop - each! After I put the big tires on, I took it in for an alognment. Naturally the tech did a check for worn parts first and showed me how far each tire could be moved before the steering box moved - scary! I might not have ever gotten the alignment checked were it not for the tire swap. Dealer lube n oil changes for the first 50,000 miles, after that I did my own - and hit all 11 zerts, just never thought to wiggle the parts I was greasing.

Bottom line, my front end was maintained per the recommended lube schedule and had the stock tires - parts wore out anyway...

I thought I read that the front wheel bearings in the 4x4 are permenantly lubricated - maintenance free - from the factory, can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave- you are right, the front hub bearings are internally lubricated. Don't know why the wore so rapidly. As for the steering box clunk, I haven't heard of this before but I have been away from the forums for a good while. Anyone refer me to a link?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Mackin- meant sdaver...

Sure yours aren't worn too? I was like Dave Ski, I didn't realize how much I was working the truck to keep it going straight!

·
Registered
647 Posts
55K and I have replaced both wheel bearings, rotor was bent from the second bearing gone bad, two pitman arms and one idler arm and two tirods.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
4wd launches and big tires ended mine prematurely........so I thought.......mac you owe me $5 for tacef's compliment

·
Registered
125 Posts
TraceF said:
I bought this truck thinking I could run it a few hundred thousand trouble free miles and I am real dissapointed to find out that I am going to be doing $1500 worth of front end work every 50-60k miles.

What?!?!?! I have not heard of this please elaborate.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
TraceF said:
Dave- you are right, the front hub bearings are internally lubricated. Don't know why the wore so rapidly. As for the steering box clunk, I haven't heard of this before but I have been away from the forums for a good while. Anyone refer me to a link?

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=532&PN=1

Dave the check is in the mail ....

Mac

·
Registered
511 Posts
It ain't nuthin new guys. I had my idler and pitman arm go out at 50k on my '98 GMC Z71. I had 285's and the bars were only cranked three turns. The replacement parts were still good at 160k when I got rid of it. Just plain cheap GM parts. I do remember swearing alot replacing that pitman!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mac, Dave,

you guys all look the same to me...

Thanks for the steering box link but mine is more of a thud clunk than a rattle clunk. It sounds like something is loose under there.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts