Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my truck with all the goodies on it. Everything is great except it seems as if the truck wanders a little on the highway. I wonder if it could be a bad alignment? Caster or camber, I can't remember which. The negative angle of the spindle center line is what keeps it driving straight... right? I think I could measure this angle if someone knew the factory spec.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It could just be the mud terrains tread squishing around. My brother had the same thing and when he switched to an all-terrain it was much better.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment.

I thought about those big lugs being flexible enough to create the wandering but was hoping it was simply the camber set wrong. Anyone know the setback degrees?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Another issue I am having is the new steering arm from Superlift is hitting the frame before the stops. I'm thinking grind some of the contact area off but it is right were two pieces are welded together. Do you think I would get much improvement with 1/2" more turn? The turning radius leaves much to be desired so I' m looking for ideas.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I just picked up my truck with all the goodies on it. Everything is great except it seems as if the truck wanders a little on the highway. I wonder if it could be a bad alignment? Caster or camber, I can't remember which. The negative angle of the spindle center line is what keeps it driving straight... right? I think I could measure this angle if someone knew the factory spec.

Thanks.
they might have not of realigned your truck after they lifted it so go back and check with them because after any mod to the suspension the truck should be checked for alignment issues

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they might have not of realigned your truck after they lifted it so go back and check with them because after any mod to the suspension the truck should be checked for alignment issues
They charged me for one!

I crudely measured the setback of the top ball joint to the bottom and in 9" there is 1/2" on passenger side and 1" on the drivers. Granted my level and tape measure alignment can't be very accurate, however, from what I can seen it seems like it should have some more camber. The alignment cam it set right in the middle. I wonder if they just guessed.

I really don't need the pain of having them realign it. I didn't see one in their shop so I'm guessing they would have to send it out... bigger pain.

There has to be a way to convert the measurments above into degrees (much higher level of math than I am qualified for :) ) and compare to factory specs. Anyone have these spec's handy or know some trigometry?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Twice the tire shop said they did an alignment.-:t on my dime

Until I took the truck to a real alignment shop it drove like crap

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
just because they charged you don't mean they did it so take it back to them and tell them your problems and they should fix it for you if you just go it done

·
Registered
204 Posts
If your truck wanders alot on the highway, it's most likely due to improper caster settings. But when you adjust caster you throw out your camber as they kinda affect each other.....caster change can also throw out your toe when adjusting. I'd definately get someone who knows alignments to take a look. Sometimes it's harders to get lifted trucks back to acceptable specs depending on the lift methods. Some wander should be expected due to the wide treadwidth when driving in grooved roads etc, but it shouldn't drive itself where it wants. Check out the caster. Another thing to check is to see if they tightened the control arm bolts after they aligned it. Maybe they're a lil loose and just walking where they want as you drive?

I helped a friends put a 5-6" skyjacker on a dodge a few years ago and after aligning it, the truck walked all over the road....it was a 2 hand on the wheel truck. So we screwed around with different caster/camber settings and finally got it right after a few attempts. Different setups can call for different settings to be tolerable to drive. We were just lucky to have a rack in our shop and the time to play with it.

-mike

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't plan on making any of the adjustments myself. I just wanted to see if the caster was close to being in spec. The shop asked me to bring the truck back in after a few hundred miles to retorque the front end bolts. I will ask them about it then.

·
Registered
837 Posts
kkirt1, whats with that bracket on your centerlink? I have not seen that before, did it come with the lift? What purpose does it serve?

Thanks Robert

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That bracket is 6" tall. It leaves the center link in the same factory posistion. The top is what hooks to the pitman and idler arms. It looks like it has been well designed to keep the factory steering geometry except that last little bit of turning radius I can't get because this bracket touches the frame crossmember.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks for the reply, can you post a bigger picture of it so we can see the whole thing. I have the fabtech lift and on their spindles they just raised the cast part for the tie rods, I didn't have to do anything with my centerlink

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a similar set up to you. Mine wanders a tade as well. I assumed it was the mudders, but I could be wrong. 6 inch pro comp, 35 bfg mudders.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There really is no way to get a good picture of the bracket since it is stuffed up there. Basically, the spindles are stock so the whole center link gets lowered to accomodate the 6" lift.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts