Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was in the process of replacing a u-joint and boot on the front drive shaft (front dif. to transfer case). I unbolted the four front bolts and attempted to slide the driveshaft back and nothing. Its seized I can't budge it backward or forward, at least no more than the quite worn-out u-joint will allow.
I then removed the boot, which was torn, and tried again. There was a load of dirt in the boot, sprayed penetrating oil into the coupling to try and get it to move, nothing yet.
How much can a guy pry or hammer on these parts without f*&king things up? Best method anyone?

thanks

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Since it's splined they are likely just seized together from rust and crap. You should be able to pull on it pretty hard without harming anything else. If you can't get at it to pry good you might be able to pull it from the front maybe? One would hope though that after sitting there lubed up it will come off tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One would hope though that after sitting there lubed up it will come off tomorrow.
After letting it sit all night with penetrating fluid, I still couldn't budge it today. It is in there tight, tried using some heat to see if that would help and still nothing.

what else could I try?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Keep tapping on all sides with a mallet. Also keep putting penetrating oil on the splines. If you keep working at it, it should break lose.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you need a new one let me know. Cheap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts