Diesel Place banner

front diff vent cap??

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Brennan monster 
#1 ·
Fixing to drain the front and rear diffs and go to synthetic and read on here about changing the front vent cap to the white one#12479296. I peeked under mine and it has a white one and not the black that needed to be swapped when you go to synthetic. Hate to spend money on a part I dont need. Just wondering if any of you have this as well. My truck is an 06, maybe GM put the white ones in now from the factory?? What should I do?
Thanks,

#5 ·
Ok thanks guys, I will pull it in the shop tomorrow night and get it changed.:D

#7 ·
i dont think i would change it either a seal is a seal untill it starts to leak or something then iwould change it

#8 ·
It may also be possible that GM put the white vent cap on the later model trucks because the front differentials have synthetic fluid inside. May want to check before you change it.
Mark

#9 ·
I just changed my front tonight. I checked before I did the job and it had the white cap. Very easy job. Just don't be surprised that it is yellow coming out the front and black coming out the back of the G-80.

#13 ·
Yeah it looked like shiat coming out the front all yellowed up. I was thinking it looked like gear marking compound, being I have a tub of it I use setting up ring and pinions.

#10 ·
Ditto.... front is a dino 80w90, rear is "Grapejuice" 75w90.
Replace both with Mobil-1 75w90 and be happy.

Dunno why the front looks so bad.... it looks like it's loaded with water.
Some speculate that it's "contaminated" with a material they use for testing gear mesh.

#11 ·
Dunno why the front looks so bad.... it looks like it's loaded with water.
Some speculate that it's "contaminated" with a material they use for testing gear mesh.
is that why it is yellow from the stuff they use to check gear mesh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.