Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 2500HD has a squeal noise coming from what sounds like the left front wheel. It sounds just like the squeal that Envoy frt axle seals make but I have never heard this noise on a full size truck before. It starts making the noise at about 30 mph and get louder as you go faster. It does it coasting, while braking, accellerating, or even while coasting in nuetral. I think its the left front axle seal. Has anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Probably the front wheel bearing. Driverside usually goes first.
It's a sealed bearing so you must replace the hub assembly.
Lift that wheel off ground, grab it at top and bottem, rock it to check for play. Spin it and listen.
Do a search. Common problem.
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71798

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheel bearing is tight, that was the first thing I checked. I can't hear anything by spinning the wheel by hand, so I will have to put the truck on a lift and run it in four wheel drive.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
How many miles on your truck? Are the brake pads wore out and the metal tab rubbing to tell you so?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck has just over 42000 miles on it. The brake pads are hardly worn at all and the rotors aren't rusted up like they usually are.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
redhenny16;1584867; said:
The brake pads are hardly worn at all and the rotors aren't rusted up like they usually are.
I assume you inspected the inside pads, which usually seem to wear much faster than the outer.
I completely lost one inner front pad, and heard a sqeeking, then grinding sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts